willemsen

movies swoop texel and vx39

I thought that might be Jay, but all those damn PD guys dress alike in competition.

I just noticed that d-bag in the VX39 video. Very interesting. It has two traditional locking stows and then uses a velcro-closed pocket for the rest of the lines. I wonder how that'd do at terminal with a more "normal" (less than 2.4:1) wingloading. My theory is that it'd open as slowly, but probably have better heading. :)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Yeah it was Jay. Seeing him do that live in competition is quite something.

It has two traditional locking stows and then uses a velcro-closed pocket for the rest of the lines. I wonder how that'd do at terminal with a more "normal" (less than 2.4:1) wingloading.

It's a "berger bag" or similar. There are a lot of them out there now being used for regular skydives.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

someone told me that he couldn't deploy that canopy at terminal because it wouldn't open (due to the fact that it was so small). Has someone been pulling my leg?
Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.
George Bernard Shaw

It's a "berger bag" or similar.

I think the Berger bag uses no stows at all -- a "tail pocket" with tuck tabs. This one just looked like a normal d-bag that uses a pocket instead of secondary stows. Very cool, regardless.

Click

I think the Berger bag uses no stows at all

Yeah I think you're right. I've seen some berger bag variants where they used bands for the locking stows as well. I asked about the reasoning behind it and I guess the original berger bag doesn't work well (stay closed properly) if the bag and canopy sizes dont match very well.

From all accounts I'm hearing that the deployment is far "smoother" but I've never jumped one so I can't say. It does look pretty cool though.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hadn't really thought about that. I could definitely see a new or big canopy popping out the tuck tabs, whereas rubber bands are, of course, more flexible. Heck, I might convert my d-bag to one of these. Use the four locking stows and then stow the rest of the line like I do on tailpocket.

Vladi made a good point about why these bags aren't out there. If someone doesn't know how to stow lines in a pocket, they could easily pack themselves a malfunction. I guess some education should be sent along or known in advance. It's not at all difficult, of course, but I could imagine someone with 50 jumps who just bought their first rig getting one of these bags and hosing themselves over "guessing" how to stow the lines.

Click

Luigi laid that bad boy out the night before for everyone to see, that sucker is tiny. Watching him pack it was almost comical because it is so smal, and his suspension lines are only 5.5 feet long. But he flew the fuck out of that thing. Even had a line twist, and landed right on the spot. Amazing sight to behold.

Yes Ian, have video, I'll catcha at the DZ;)

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!