koz2000

Wildwood Swoop Comp?

i heard that one of the competitors from oregon and a regular poster here on dz.com had to do a re-run because a sea gull hit him during one of his approaches, don't know if it's true but hopefully dan will come on and tell us. if it's true it would be pretty damn funny :D
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Haven't heard anything about the Wildwood Swoop comp or festival. Anybody have results, pics, etc..

Dang I was there and had a great time. But I'm sorry to report that I wasn't paying close attention to the actual competition and I forget who won the "Pro" event. Two new "Advanced" guys competing in their first PST event (Doug from CrossKeys and Brian from FL) tied for first place. But Mother Nature wasn't always kind to us and the "Pros" only completed 6 of 9 rounds while the "Advanced" guys only got in one day of competing. Maybe someone like SkymonkeyOne will see this and fill us in on the results details.

i heard that one of the competitors from oregon and a regular poster here on dz.com had to do a re-run because a sea gull hit him during one of his approaches, don't know if it's true but hopefully dan will come on and tell us. if it's true it would be pretty damn funny

Yes there was a bird strike. I didn't see the bird strike but the thing did get caught up in the lines and broke it's wing. So I would suspect that that bird will be a goner within the week. I did see it hanging around the pond afterwards (stupid birds, we'd scare them off and then they'd just come back). In fact I came close to taking out several birds as well on one of my swoops (I wasn't competing).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Looks like Canuck needs just a little more info:

First, Jay won the pro, he totally kicks ass, just amazing to watch. Dusty smith flew really really well and took 3rd overall, behind JC who took second.

YES I TOTALLY TAGGED A SEAGULL! It was on my last beach accuracy run. It's on video out there somewhere, I saw it but didn't get a fire wire copy -doh!

At no time was it caught up in my lines, it was a glancing blow across my chest and shoulder. The bird flew away, clearly seen on the video, it's fine...I had nothing to do with the bird with the broken wing.

I got a re-jump which I promptly chumped and got wet on, getting only water-gate points for the round.

Lastly, the "advanced" guys (I'm one of them) jumped for two days, not one, completed 6 of 9 rounds, speed on Wed, and Beach accuracy Thursday. The "pros" got in 8 of 12 rounds.

Yes I'll be out this weekend, it was a good time.

I don't mean to make it sound like some huge thing, I hit a bird and messed up the flare (I balled up which made me pull hard on the rears, popping up away from water level), all of the judges saw what happened and immediately gave me the option to re-jump if I wanted one, which I did. I hit one bird out of about eight or nine that flew up from the pond directly in the flight path of my body just as I came into contact with the surface of the water.

Apparently Ian Bobo and Luke Aikins had been watching the gulls land on the pond and had a side bet for an ice cream cone that someone would hit a bird. I can't remember who won, but there was an exchange of an ice cream cone to pay up on the bet.

Final results are posted:

They're posted on a bulletin board just off of the boardwalk very near the packing area we used in wildwood, NJ. Everyone who was there saw them. I expect that they'll be on the PST sight within about 5-7 days, if past result posting is any indicator.

I guess I didn't mean to say "totally" or capitalize my earlier post, it just kind of fell out that way, it was a minor, non injurious bird-strike that occurred in a grazing manner.

-quick view of Dan with a gull wing just barely sticking out of his mouth, COUGH...as a single feather shoots out of Dan's mouth then floats down and lands in the swoop pond-

Dan looks nervously from left to right hoping that no one notices he just ate the poor birds spouse without remorse.

Like that, Steve...? BTW I'm moving to Portland (finally), I have an apartment picked out and everything, August 1st.

-quick view of Dan with a gull wing just barely sticking out of his mouth, COUGH...as a single feather shoots out of Dan's mouth then floats down and lands in the swoop pond-

Dan looks nervously from left to right hoping that no one notices he just ate the poor birds spouse without remorse.

Like that, Steve...? BTW I'm moving to Portland (finally), I have an apartment picked out and everything, August 1st.

HAHAHA!!! Rad. I'm stoked that you'll be up here! What area? We have to get together and exchange recipes, clothing, girlfriends, and looks of both hope and disgust. Either that or grab a beer.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Jay Moledski took my lunch money.....again. Actually, I was quite happy to give it to him; he blistered it. I got 23rd out of 42 in Pro and had a blast, as usual. The meet was fun, the party was EPIC, and I met some new faces who were breaking into the scene. Most of the usual suspects were present and all but a few ended up in the same room on at least one occasion.

Winds played a key factor in this meet. The pond was setup parallel to the boardwalk and the waiver only allowed it to be swooped in one direction. Unfortunately, on the third day of competition the winds turned downwind and started honking. Honking to the point that Jim and Lyle cancelled the rest of the meet. We in pro only got two rounds of zone accuracy in because we had to start so late the day prior, so that was it for individual stuff. The highly anticipated freestyle rounds never happened during "regular" competition because we were mandated by the primary sponsor, the city of Wildwood, to have our awards ceremony before sunset on Saturday. What Jim did as a caveat was to offer $500 to the individual who threw down the single sickest freestyle swoop across the pond on Sunday between the hours of like 8am and 3pm. As most people kicked the piss out of it Saturday evening, very few people even dared board the chopper to take a whack at it. I am not sure, but from what I recall it was either TJ or JayMo who claimed that cash.

I got back home last night after an 11 hour drive dragging my camper. I am spent........until the next time. Most everyone present will be at The Ranch Pond Swoop Meet next. Prior to that, I will be at Rantoul blowing it up at the pond.

someone did catch a bird in his lines, i have a picture of it
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeCNW7lo0atnEQ
its picture numbers 7-4 and 7-5

Uh... that's not Dan, and I don't think the bird is IN his lines -- maybe further back.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

There was a bird with a broken wing walking down the beach near the boardwalk.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

if that incident broke the bird's wing it would have had to fly UP to the boardwalk level- about 10-15ft. Not likely. I bet it was a different animal unless someone threw it up on the boardwalk or it walked all the way up there

No the bird Jib speaks of was seen waddling right next to the pond. This is the bird I'm assuming that was hit. But who knows?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

"Jay Moledski took my lunch money.....again."

That's hillarious.

The biggest bummer about getting hurt was that I missed watching you guys tear it up down in Wildwood. The best swoopers in the world converge on my back yard, and I'm laid up in a bed. FUCK!!

Methane Freefly - got stink?