Squeak

containers

Hi guys,
I will be looking at buying my pre 2nd rig in about 6 weeks. My question is what size canopies do the containers take. i.e. is there a set size spread for each container.
e.g. Different Atoms will take 190 - 150, 150 - 120, or is there not set sizing???
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There is a top size main that the container will take, and some containers have a small main minimum and others don't (with dolphins you can play with the closing loop, put a 150 in a D4 that is made for a 230 and it will be ok, just be sure to put that closing loop very tight). Check with the manufacturer before buying any rig.

If its to big then it wont fit, if its to small then it will look ugly, if its in the range then it will look perfect.

What I dunno is about the reserve, I think that the reserve must be the size specified by the manufacturer, no playing with the sizing on this one.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering getting a new or near new container and putting about a190 in it, but I would then like to be able to down size my canopy after awhile but keep the container the same. So ideally I'd like a container that will take a 190, 170, 150, and maybe even a 135 (in about 10 years ;))

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Most rig manufacturers publish suitable canopy sizes for their different containers on their website. If you're looking at an Atom I know that pdf put that info on their website.

I have an Atom Classic, size 0, that I bought with a Spectre 150 in it, now has a Spectre 135 in it and could probably squeeze a 170 in it.
Given that you'll probably want to downsize after a while I'd try to find a container where your 190 was the biggest canopy that will fit.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

You can normally downsize once before the canopy is too small for the bag and you will have a rig that doesn't look too cool and probably harder openings as well.

Your profile only shows a handful of jumps. Why not get a container that just about takes a 170 (with a bit of a squeeze) and rent until you are ready to use it. You could then downsize to a 150 on the same container in the future.

Better advice is get a rig that fits the 190 nice (no need fighting while packing at the start) then downsize to the 170 when you are ready for it, and not sooner. Mirage, Vector, and the like only do one size up and one size down. My Javelin J2 has fit a 120-193. I would'nt recommened the 193 or even the 176 since those are CRW canopies and it don't matter how they look packed since I'll be in freefall for only about 2 seconds.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Buy a container that fits the size main and reserve that you can safely land, every time. You'll be able to downsize the main at least once in it. Then sell it to someone else and buy a new, smaller one when you're ready to downsize further.

You say now that you want to keep it forever... but you'll soon be like the rest of us, always wanting something newer, neater, smaller...;)

You can usually install a reserve canopy one size larger or one size smaller than recommended by the container manufacturer. Mind you. expect to hear profanity from your rigger if you want to install a larger reserve.
Main containers tend to be more flexible, depending upon model. For example, my Talon T6 was originally designed for a 190 square foot main. It packed easily with a Sabre 170. I shortened the loop as far as it would go when I packed a Sabre 150 into it, but the pin became uncomfortably loose with a Sabre 135.
Main containers with closing loops anchored in the pack tray (Javelin, most Mirages, etc.) have more flexibility in terms of loop length and main canopy sizes. The other way to check is to count the number of grommets the main closing loop passes through while closing. For example: on American-made Talons the loop only passes through 3 grommets, so they only accept a limited range of canopy sizes.