UliToo

Impact of chute opening

I've done 3 tandems so far and have been thinking about doing my AFF for a couple years, finally wanted to make it happen this year. Found out recently I have a large liver hemangioma (non cancerous liver tumor) that probably won't ever bother me, but I was advised by the doctor not to play any contact sports due to the trauma that might rupture it. How much of an impact is chute shock and landing? I was SO ready for it too, mentally and even financially. I've watched tons of videos and read up lots on the sport. I could have the tumor removed, though it's not a simple operation and the recovery is long.

Bummed out......

...but I was advised by the doctor not to play any contact sports due to the trauma that might rupture it

Skydiving is a contact sport...sorry.

'Impact' is what happens when the chute DOESN'T open! ;)

When a parachute deploys you are subjected to what's called opening SHOCK, some are harder than others.

You could also be involved in free-fall collisions and hard landings...involving hard contact that could be a problem for you.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Um, your landings are quite likely to be tumbling ones, at first. Also a parachute opening can vary from soft as butter to rib-bruising (which happend to me once). Student type canopies are not ones to open reaaal slow, usually, on purpose. Hard openings can also more easily happen to beginners as their body position isn't perfect (mostly, if you're headdown-ish or don't slow down after tracking or freefly), a hard opening can also happen due to packing, or just plain bad luck.

You might try the windtunnel as a sport though, you could ask your doctor about that.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

You might try the windtunnel as a sport though, you could ask your doctor about that.

As a new jumper you also tend to fly into burbles and have mid-air collisions so there is that risk as well.

However even the tunnel shouldn't be considered a non-impact sport. You can have collisions or break bones in the tunnel, as well.

If you have any major medical condition like the one described above, I would steer clear. I would however ALSO ask them (doctors) if they couldn't just go in there and take that sucker out, which would open this sport back up to you :) :)

First, I am not a real doctor, just a dentist. But that means I advise people on health issues in a generic sense quite a bit.

Second, get a second opinion. There are so many factors that could lead to another treatment that you should consider a second opinion. Consider a sports medicine doctor as well; most gp's or surgeons see the training for airborne school on the Military Channel and consider that AFF level 1.

Third, I would consider your age as a huge factor. If you are older and a slower lifestyle is not that far away, then leaving it may not be a problem. The younger you are the more likely you are to injure yourself in a way that could be life-threatening.

Fourth, skydiving is a contact sport, but it is not a collision sport like football or rugby. Yes, you will run into things and thump yourself on occasion, but you can also do that trying to paint your house of chase women.

Only you can determine what level of inactivity/risk you are willing to take on and what level of surgical risk also.

Hope this helps.

Jump more, post less!

Lots of good advise here.

Being in the sport for many years and jumping what is by design a slow opening canopy (PD Spectre), There is no guarantee you will get 100% soft openings but I do.

On occasion I do land harder than I planned and take the bumps and bruises both in freefall and under canopy that go with the sport.

Just the other day I caught some turbulence and basically fell out of the sky from about 10 ft. No bid deal but an impact like that could do what your doctor warned you about.

That being said I would probably advise you to avoid Skydiving at least until you get that thing removed (if that's even possible).
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Thanks for all the advice! There's a lot of good info here. It does put things more into perspective.

Topdocker.....I AM older (48 y/o female) and do like my solitude and just relaxing, but I feel much younger and am in otherwise excellent health. Skydiving is something that I really want to get into. Tunnel instead of jumping out of a plane would just be a tease.;) I'd really wanna do it then.

I'm going to get a second opinion from a sports doc, but mostly I'll be doing some research on the operation. Hey, where there's a will there's a way, right? :D

Thanks guys!

I would like to give you my opinion as well.

#1 How big is big ? 2cm or 20 cm

#2 Where in the liver, in the middle, right on the edge etc.

#3 I would rather see a gastroenterologist or a hepatologist than a sports medicine doctor. Hemangiomas don't really fall under the realm of sports medicine ;)

#4 if it's big enough, and in an area where marginal trauma might rupture it, carefully examine the potential risks and complications of proposed surgery.

Significant trauma can cause liver rupture in ANY individual, and you could bleed to death irregardless of hemangioma or not.
I just threw that last bit in the mix to put it into persepctive.

Good luck with pursuiing your dream !

I would like to give you my opinion as well.

#1 How big is big ? 2cm or 20 cm

#2 Where in the liver, in the middle, right on the edge etc.

#3 I would rather see a gastroenterologist or a hepatologist than a sports medicine doctor. Hemangiomas don't really fall under the realm of sports medicine ;)

#4 if it's big enough, and in an area where marginal trauma might rupture it, carefully examine the potential risks and complications of proposed surgery.

Significant trauma can cause liver rupture in ANY individual, and you could bleed to death irregardless of hemangioma or not.
I just threw that last bit in the mix to put it into persepctive.

Good luck with pursuiing your dream !

The tumor is 8x9 cm and on the side. Gastroenterologist and I decided to have it removed, mostly due to my active lifestyle. I don't want to have to worry about it for the rest of my life, as someone mentioned.

Thanks, y'all! :D

Sorry if this is posted on the wrong board; didn't know where to put it.

Good luck with everything.

Don't worry too much about where you posted it. If it was serioulsy out of place the moderators would have moved it.
And I really can't think that there is a better place than here.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I had a liver transplant six years ago due to a cancerous tumor. Took me three months to recover and jump again. Thinking now I should have waited longer after surgery because of the muscle loss associated with surgery of that level. Made it hard to flare my canopy but did not affect my new liver. Keep in mind that I was a experienced jumper at the time and wasn't making the normal mistakes that students make. Hard landings and bad pack jobs. Good luck with the surgery and trust your doctors, they can make miracles happen.

According to surgeon, that hemangioma will not come in the way of anything, including hard openings or landings. It's located in a spot where it is well cushioned by other body parts. I had taken all your information posted with me to show him, and he wasn't worried in the least. Told to go ahead and jump, if that's what I wanted to do, shaking his head with a smirk. Yaayyyy! B|B|

Did my ground class 2 days ago, but no jumps due to high winds. I'm IN! :D