parachutist

IPC's definition of wing loading seems to be misleading

IPC's definition of wing loading seems to be misleading
Section 2.10 of the IPC's Competition Rules for Canopy Piloting states:

"Wing Loading: The mathematical ratio of the competitor's weight in US pounds to the surface area in square feet of the canopy he is jumping"

http://www.fai.org/parachuting/documents/cpiloting_2004.pdf

'Exit Weight' is not defined or used in this statement, as it should be. If someone uses the statement above to calculate his wing loading for deciding what new high performance canopy to buy, then a gross miscalculation will occur and that jumper will end up with the wrong canopy.

True definition of wing loading would be:
Ratio of competitor's exit weight (weight of competitor + rig + cothing + any other gear the jumper will be wearing when exiting the plane) to the surface area of the canopy.

Chris Warnock

First, this really shouldn't be an issue... skydivers shouldn't learn how to calculate wingloading by reading the rules of a high level canopy piloting competition, and even if they did, if they haven't figured it out by the time they're ready to buy a high performance canopy, then they certainly have bigger issues to deal with. Furthermore, exit weight is implied well enough (did the wording actually confuse someone that you know?); I don't know anyone who has inferred the wrong meaning.

Second, if you want to be picky, your definition could be the cause of an even worse miscalculation.... By not specifying units, a skydiver could come up with any number of incorrect wingloadings. Airliners have crashed for that very reason.

Jason

First, this really shouldn't be an issue... skydivers shouldn't learn how to calculate wingloading by reading the rules of a high level canopy piloting competition,

The IPC is an authority, and I would not surprised if someone who was trying to figure out how to calculate wing loading remembered "I read it on IPC's web page... let me find that again"

and even if they did, if they haven't figured it out by the time they're ready to buy a high performance canopy, then they certainly have bigger issues to deal with.

They should understand it after graduating AFF, but in my experience many 1,000+ jump skydivers do not know the formula.

Furthermore, exit weight is implied well enough (did the wording actually confuse someone that you know?); I don't know anyone who has inferred the wrong meaning.

I don't think "competitor's weight" implies much. Especially not to someone who is unfamiliar with the sport of swooping. I was interested in swooping after 200 jumps, and I was reading about it... if I had come across this definition at that time, there is a good chance I would have misinterpreted it.

Second, if you want to be picky, your definition could be the cause of an even worse miscalculation....

Yes I'm picky, and yes units would make a difference. I was focusing on my one point here. If I were going to put that definition into print for the IPC, I would certainly have been more thorough with it.

By not specifying units, a skydiver could come up with any number of incorrect wingloadings. Airliners have crashed for that very reason.

And this airliner history does not make you think that some skydivers will miscalculate their wing loadings as a result of misinterpreting the definition I mentioned?

I won't argue that people will make mistakes and gross miscalculations, but such mistakes have the gravest consequences in canopy piloting of all the skydiving disciplines. It's the responsibility of each individual to approach this new discipline carefully and vigilantly, even if that involves some degree of reading between the lines. No amount of correct verbage will keep everyone safe.

I don't think "competitor's weight" implies much.

Well, I've never seen anyone compete without having donned her or his gear....

Jason