BrianSGermain

"The Parachute and its Pilot" Book

I haven't read the new revision yet...with regards to the first one, I am not going to tell everyone what an amazing wealth of knowledge the book contains until you send me my kite!:P

Danny

ps: I am still not sold on the theory that you need a neo-cortex!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Sorry about the kite delay. As you know, I don't build them personally, so delays sometimes happen. You will get it eventually.

I am glad you enjoyed the book!

Bri
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like to read the first paragraph of anything a find grammer/spelling mistakes......

Brain, thanks for the information and knowledge. Keep it up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry dude, couldn't resist....

Maybe a Freudian slip though, and I won't take offense

Yea...I have to agree. That is funnyB|:D. I love sticking my foot in my mouth:S.

Never Give up! Never Surrender!

As for the philosophical stuff, think of it as broccolli: it's good for you...

:D:D

That would make a great sigline, I'm not going to use it, but Brian... that's funny!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

"I just recieved a copy of Brian Germain's new book called "The parachute and pilot". I took four hours to read and then slowly review each page of the book in detail. I highly recommend this book to ALL levels of canopy pilots. The book covers everything from aerodynamics to the psychological aspect of it all. Go get one..."
Jim Slaton
(www.canopypiloting.com)

Actual Post:
http://canopypiloting.tempwebpage.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=965;search_string=Brian;guest=7041#965

Hi Brian I got the book on Friday and I finished reading it last night.

Overall I think this is the best and probably only skydiving canopy piloting book there is.

I think it still needs some editing, especially grammar, sentence organization, and I would organize the material a bit differently. Sometimes the reading is a bit too jumpy.

The material is all there though. I would have added a little more math and fluid dynamics but I’m a geek and probably you did not want to go there anyway.

Overall this should be mandatory reading for any skydiver, really!

Thanks for the effort man!
Memento Audere Semper

I know that the geeks are wanting more math, but that road tends to lead to sleepy-time for most readers. The important thing is the general concepts, not the specific math that supports those concepts. My goal is to improve safety, not make more parachute designers.

As or the editing, I agree. I spent the past month working on the spelling and grammer errors, and the new copy will be much easier on the eyes. We even redrew the diagrams. It will be going into print later this week.

Bri

Hard to say. Either way it's the same book. The new version does not have new information, it's just cleaned up a bit.

WHAT?! You took out the dirty parts?!
How can I get a copy with the "adult" stuff still in it?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Good job Brian, the book was given to me while I was passing through Crosskeys on my way back to California from a airshow. The book should find its way into every skydivers hand...no matter how long they have been skydiving or what type of canopy pilot they think they are. I can't say enough good things about it. I invite you to my site at www.canopypiloting.com and hope to see you there spreading some more of your knowledge.

Jim Slaton
canopypiloting.com

I mailed with Brian about my order (ordered and payed via PayPal in like an hour, two weeks before it shipped...), but something got messed in shipping so my copy never went out. It's currently sold out so i'll have to wait for the next print (which is scheduled).:(
I mailed Brian about it and he checked with the shipping guy and found it out.
He was really sorry about it. Just mail him and tell him to check if your order shipped (Note to self: mail him and check when the new copies are available and start bugging him...:P).

Good luck, and hopefully the book will be available again soon.

Edit: Now at home with access to my emails here's Brians update as of May 31st:
"I will send the new (3rd Edition) book as soon as they get here from the printer. It may take as long as four more weeks. I didn't expect it to sell so quickly."
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

No worries everyone. I paid a premium to get them quickly. They will be here on Thursday the 24th of June. I am as excited as all of you to see the new revision in print.

We'll be shipping everything immeditately.

So sorry for the delay.

Pip and I have had numerous conversations about his approach technique. He understands that his method is a cautionary tale, and that he would go further if he turned higher. He simply loves the adrenalin rush. That is his choice.

I have huge repect for Pip's ability to remain calm depite the ground rushing up at him on landing. If you stay cool, you can get away with almost anything.

The altitude of initiation remains a secondary parameter to the angle of entry in the completion phase.

After your seminar at Burnaby I read the book cover to cover. The overall presentation is perfect for the target audience. It presents what people need to know and doesn't present what people don't need to know. The philosophical stuff is more psychological than philosophical, and I think it's a good thing to see how the people who are accomplished in the discipline think. Getting the right thought patterns is most of the way to success in my experience. My only gripe is that spelling and minor grammar errors are abundant, and the typesetting could be a bit better. I will gladly edit it for you when I have time in a couple of weeks, if you want, at least for the spelling, since my grammar needs work anyway.

We all know that if you ask ten people on a DZ the same question, you will get ten different answers. This book is the definitive settler of all such questions. Straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak (sorry Brian;)) I'm not implying that this book is the bible of canopy control, no such thing exists. The distinctive feature is that Brian explains why he comes to his conclusions, he doesn't just preach.

Anyway, it was great. And attend his seminars if you can!

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.