skydiven4fun

Intresting weekend

Ok, I thought that I would share this with everyone. Last weekend I was lucky enough to get off, So I went to the D/Z to do some jumping. It was pretty windy, 10 to 15 knots, And I had planned on doing Hop and Pops and working on swooping, Well after getting to the D/Z, I decided to do some free flying with my friends. Well first load everything was fine. Had a killer cross wind swoop, But I seemed to moving much faster when I leveled out from a 270. I didn't think too much about it I just thought that maybe the winds might be pushing me a little more than I expected. Anyway Next load, I was setting up to do another 270 but due to traffic had to abort. (I usually do a R. Hand 270, If I am in traffic I can always do a left hand 90 and still land where I plan)
Well due to other canopies I aborted my usual and did a 90 left to land, I never have a problem with winds when I do a 270 due to the speed that I have. But when I did the 90 left I did not have near the speed and the winds affected my landing. Long story made short I really busted my ass, rolled end over end several times, ( Packed Mud in My new camera) Still works though, And got loud round of clapping and hoots from everyone. This incident made me really think about what I did, It also humbled me quite a bit.
I should have thought out all the what if's before I decided to skydive that day with the winds like they were.
And I learned a good lesson.
Hope this helps anyone else out there think before they go for it.
Also I would have never thought that I would bust my ass doing a slower set up for landing, But I did. sometimes trying to be conservitve can bite your ass just as easy. B|
Still here after all these years

Clayton

That's one more reason why we shouldn't get used to only one type of approach.
Thanks for sharing that with us. :)
p.s.: just a reminder: When was the last time all you swoop gods did a braked/slow straight in approach in case of a tight spot landing? :P
"George just lucky i guess!"

Not admitting that I like it but when I'm training with my freefly team;
Every once in a while we land all side by side, straight in.
Me on a Comp Cobalt 85, Shannon on a Cobalt 105 and Robert on a Cobalt150.

It does look cool though.

This is such an awesome post! I am so glad you didn't get seriously hurt but it is a great example of how wind conditions affect flight characteristics.
I don't have to tell you about how it works, you lived it, but I'd still like to take the chance to share my thoughts in general on this topic for anyone who may read it.

There are some fantastic articles about flying a canopy through turbulent air that are available online. I highly reccommend digging through the PD website for the best information. They undeniably offer the most accurate aerodynamic information for anyone interesting in learning more about how and why things work and how to fly our parachutes most efficiently and safely. There is sadly some information available online as well that is dangerously INNACURATE as to how they reccommend flying a canopy through bumpy air.
In a nutshell, in most circumstances flying in brakes or slowing way down upon encountering turbulence is NOT a good idea. Allowing full flight as described by PD is a good idea.

Now, Mikee, I know you didn't slow down, you were just swooping a bit slower than normal because you only did a 90 as opposed to your normal 270. But for people who fly wussy style (like me) and use a normal pattern and straight final who encounter turbulence can really get bumped around.

It is all just basic aerodynamic stuff pertaining to the velocity of the wing creating pressure differentials and therefore lift and drag. It's pretty fascinating stuff and I wish more canopy pilots were more interested in reading up on it because it would really help understand what is happening and why. Knowing how to fly our canopies to their fullest capabilities improves skill and therefore greatly enhances safety.

Just so nobody thinks I'm talking out of my butt, I have a degree in this stuff and I fly planes for a living too.

So, thank you for writing this story and I am glad you didn't get too roughed up. Hope your camera is okay!

Rock on Brutha!

Nice post. Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Just so nobody thinks I'm talking out of my butt

Cara, we all know you talk out of your butt!! :ph34r:

Speaking of which, when are you gonna come visit Katie and I?

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

But for people who fly wussy style (like me) and use a normal pattern and straight final who encounter turbulence can really get bumped around.

Wing loading also has an impact on how much of an effect turbulence has on a canopy, also...as with an airplane. An airplane with a higher wing loading(such as the T-38) experiences much less turbulence for a given area than an airplane with a lighter wing loading(such as a 737). Also, sheer surface area has an effect to some point...though, not as much effect as the loading of that wing.

Mike