skyjuggler

Sensei (Brian Germain)

As Brian is known to post here........

I have heard different views as to what the target market is of the Sensei.
Reports seem to vary between a canopy which is a little slower than the Velocity, VX, Xaos, to reports that it performs better than them on distance.

What is the deal, who is it designed for, and what other info do you have about the canopy. Looking forward to responses.

The Sensei is a Competition Swoop canopy. It is designed to out-swoop everything on the market. I know that sounds like a tall order, and it is. That is why I have worked so long on it without making a dime on sales.

I refuse to fall short of this goal.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Oooh, I saw Andy jumping a 91 Sinsei last weekend....but he always got down faster than I did so I never go to watch the swoop :< Hopefully I'll be able to actually see it fly this weekend.

-Rory

WHEN WHEN WHEN!!!!

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

I refuse to fall short of this goal.

Crossbraced and airlocked? :)
I see you achieving that goal all in short time. Good luck to you Brian. B|

I say once again, crossbraced AND airlocked = :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I am testing the Sensei in both configurations, with and without airlocks. The advantage of marketing it without airlocks is the fact that PD could build it. I am dedicated to teaching canopy-flight classes, and running a factory would limit the amount of time I have for teaching. It will also cost much more if I have to build it.

The canopy is fantastic either way. I am just concerned that the public perceives this project at an airlock cross-brace. I don't want to be accused of pulling a "bait and switch".

The fat tail technology distinguishes it from other cross-braces, and makes it a better canopy. Ultimately, I will go with the design that works the best. I am not married to specific structures, just optimum performance.

Regarding the question about 7 cell or 9 cell there is a reason. The nine cell has more line drag. I am striving to reduce drag as much as possible. When the goal is speed, why add lines? That was the whole concept of the cross-braced tricell design in the first place: aspect ratio of a nine-cell, with the line drag of a seven cell. A nine cell simply defeats the purpose.

Sorry for going offtopic, but PD can't build it if its airlocked? Then who makes the Vengeance?

PD makes the Vengeance. It's not that they can't build an airlocked canopy (they do) it's that they won't build an airlocked + crossbraced canopy.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

hey brian,

any chance of me trading ya my sam youre working on to upgrade to a sensei??

just kidding, although id entertain it if ya were foolish enough to take me up on that offer................

Brian, if you're talking about a crossbraced AND airlocked canopy....what type of pack volumes would we be looking at? I'm jumping a Xaos-21 103 now, and it packs about the same as my Stiletto 120 did. The Xaos-27 98 packs almost like a Stiletto 135..

I, personally, have not found the need for airlocked canopies....but once the Sensei comes out, I will jump it and see what I think. I have jumped the Sam, but I didn't like it at the higher wing loadings(1.8+)...I felt crossbraced was the way to go when loading that high. I loved it at a 1.65 or so wing loading, though.

What kind of flight characteristics do you expect from the production Sensei? The Sam has some serious oversteer when in brakes, and light(in my opinion, that is - some say moderate) oversteer in toggle turns.

Mike

While I doubt I will ever fly one - it is impressive to watch an amazing pilot fly it.

Complicated? I never realized a parachute could be that complex. I had a chance to sneak a quick peak at it on the packing mat one day.

Either way, Mike Swanson can do some great things under it.

I know everyone is interested in the flight characteristics of the Sensei. You all must remember that this is an ongoing project at this point. This means that I have many versions of the canopy in the air. What you have seen here and there may not be the final form of the canopy.

I wish I could test the new designs in total secrecy, but that is not possible. This means that people will inevitably form opinions about the project before it is completed. Until I am granted access to the locations where the goverment is testing flying saucers, parachute R&D will have to deal with that...

What I can say is, if the Sensei ends up with airlocks, it will pack bigger than a Velocity, about 5%. It will also cost more, which will limit the market. Only the most committed pilots will be willing to pay $2500 for a Signature-Series canopy built by the Designer himself.