pds

Inverted Canopy Hookup - what did i do wrong

I reviewed the responses above, and noticed that no one mentioned the issue of "why cut away from a fully open main"?

Landing a highly loaded canopy backwards could be plain nasty.....

Also, if the person is uncomfortable at all about landing his/her canopy backwards, even if it's a light wingloading, then I say go ahead and chop. Better to chop and land your reserve than be scared silly and panicking while trying to land backwards safely.

I don't consider a canopy that is flying backwards a "perfectly functioning canopy" per se. Even with my light wing-loading I would chop. I trust my reserve, my rig and my rigger. That's just my point of view...

blue skies!
Heather

Something that I did was marking the right riser. Not something to rely on, because it can still get twisted or something, but is nice to use as a double check.

--

I have an RSL....so it was marked by wings already...:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

I agree that a highly loaded elliptical canopy landed backwards is no trivial event, however, I assumed (not unreasonably) that a person with 36 jumps wasn't jumping such a thing. Also, I think it is naive to believe that your reserve will always work. Leaving a situation that will certainly save your life (in the case at least where you have a docile canopy) for another throw of the dice isn't necessarily an automatic no-brainer. I remember people cutting away PCs that were on backward. I didn't understand that logic either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the camp of "always land a backward main", but neither do I think it should be assumed that one should cut it away.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

The question is what did i miss on hookup. did i have the risers twisted on themselves? or did i simply put the risers on the wrong shoulders because i didnt have the nose up during hookup.

I only scanned the responses, but doesn't anyone else see something wrong with this statement? If your container is laying on the ground with the pack tray up (as if you were laying face down on the ground while wearing it) then the nose should be DOWN. I think maybe you did make sure you had the nose UP, and that would be your problem. I can't figure out how you could proceed to pro-pack a parachute hooked up like that and not notice. Please tell me you run your lines before you start your pack job. If not, I think you better get a lot more supervision with your pack jobs before you pack for yourself anymore.