jerry81

More opinions on the Demon, anyone?

It's currently selling dirt-cheap in Europe. I don't know if this is a promotional price or a dumping strategy because of some issue that makes the canopy less popular.
Anyway, I've read about everything that's been written about it here on dz.com (even the stuff in german and french, although that took the better part of an hour:P), but I still don't think I know much.
The things I'm curious about is how exactly it behaves in flight (how much oversteer, how fast are the turns, how it handles in brakes) and on landings. Roq mentions a negative recovery arc, some people mention it nearly stalls in swoops, general consensus seems to be it's really sensitive to pilot input, but at what wl? Is 1.6 (what I'd be loading a 130) enough for this canopy and do you think it might be too big a step-up in performance from the Impulse I'm flying now. (Which I'll have to return sometime soon.)
(edited; I'm calling up Stane from Atair tomorrow. I think he did some work on the design of this canopy)

I saw this canopy being flown in Eloy before it was released for production and just from watching it being flown and it's landings, it is a HP canopy no doubt. As to what it might be comparable to I think is left up to the person piloting it to decide. I think it may find a niche in Europe, especially if it is competatively priced and flys similar to other HP canopies on the market. I haven't seen them being Demo'd anywhere in the US are they being demo'd in Europe at all?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

There are? Yes, I'm talking about the one from PV. Who makes the other?

Sorry, I had a brain fart and was thinking about the RAGE when I typed that.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just a quick update;
I called up PV today and arranged so that they'll send a demo for me directly to Stane. So, yes, Demons are being demoed in Europe, apparently both by PV and some of their dealers.
I feel a bit like a fool now. If I had called them on monday instead of waiting for them to answer my email (sent via form on their page, perhaps it's not even working properly) I might be flying the canopy this weekend already.

Wohoo great news :)If you get it by this weekend. Can i do a dock on your PC while in flight (above 1000m)

Only if you can catch me:P...I asked for a 130. I'm really curious how it flies compared to your CobaltComp. And I think I'll make more than just one full altitude hop&pop with that canopy...frostbite, here I come!

To clarify, Is Stane (Atair) actually builing the Demons?
Thanks

No, Stane only makes the Contrail, Spark and Quick for Performance Variable. The Demon and Cayenne are made elsewhere. I think I read somewhere (here on dz.com) that it's some off-shore outsourcing production, which would explain the current dirt cheap prices, considering the $ to € rates at the moment.

We are not producing the demon for performance variable. We do make all their other mains and reserves.

The demon was designed by michael (one of our designers) and is manufactured in Shri Lanka (which is how they can sell so cheap). I havent flown one yet but it looks like a nice design.

Sincerely,

Daniel Preston
Atair Aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

everyone seems to have good opinion on demon and this canopy is for sell from time to time so I would like to share my fillings.
I bought new domon 110 (wl ~ 1.7) and made around 200-300 jumps with it. All dz reviews were positive so I decided to give it a try.
I didn't really like that canopy. The openings were unpredictable - sometimes brutal, regardless of packing method. Didn't like the recovery arch and risers pressure (rather short RA and high pressure).
I bought it because was cheap, but if I had to choose one more time I would buy something else.
Canopy was easy to pack though.