eugeneskydiver

Starting hookturns in full flight or a braked aproach

I start with a double front, and then go to the turn.

I go with the double fronts to build speed, and also to pressurize the canopy to reduce any chances of it folding up on me.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

That's funny! Man, until now, I used to think that I was the only person to have thought of doing something like that, but I would've been embarassed to say anything about it here. One of the key points in this discussion is reducing riser pressure when you initiate swoop entry. Approaching it in the manner you describe has the opposite effect.

I discussed this with somebody at Chambersburg, once, because the DZO there is old-school, and basically anti-swoop (I know, but it was tandem work, and it was an hour from my house). If you ever were swooping and did okay, it was for the most part cool, but if you f-ed up and had to dig a little on a hook, his and the S&TA's solution was to come tell you that you could only do 90's from then on (even though the S&TA routinely skids in on her butt). So this other fella and I are knocking back a few around the fire one night and came up with the idea of doing a mad hook so that you swooped your base leg, and then maintained what you had by doing a 90 into the landing area. Some guys do 90-270's, this was essentially a 270-90. What you end up doing, tho, is basically what amounts to a fly-by under canopy, and you have to try to do a one-armed pull up on your riser to turn in. So it doesn't work so well. But way to think big, though.

" Full flight then 90 degree front riser one way then 180 degree snap hook or carve depending on altitude. "

I was beginning to think that I was the only one using this setup. Works well to maintain the pattern and nice for those of us that like snap 180s. Never mind that the 180 turn to final is looking straight down from 500 feet.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Hi Murps,

Thanks for taking the time to answer to my question. It is appreciated!! (more than simply one word remarks... as they say, there is no such thing as a stupid question... only a stupid answer!! Ever wonder why you are taught these things at kindergarten??).

Anyway, I am getting off the topic a bit...

Understood that planing out on your final base leg would really increase the riser pressure... but what if you were to release this pressure by popping your canopy up a bit just before you entered your final turn?? This could give you extra height & more forward & downward momentum... maybe?

Just a thought... for those who would like to take the time to discuss it... maybe I should go & do a high hop'n'pop again to try... as soon as winter breaks...

Ciao,

Jumpalot

What I really like is to do, altitude permitting, is a 270 in full flight using a harness turn. If I come out a little high some riser input, either one or both depnding where I am in the turn, will dial it nicely. Rear risers out of that and you are off to the races.

I might be talking out of my ass, but it's a talent the good lord has seen fit to give me.

I think everybody is loosing the point here. It matters not how you start the turn, but how you finish it. If you have lots of speed and make a shallow entry into the swoop, you will do well.

Arguing about initiation methods is simply superstition; like wearing your "lucky socks" before hitting the field of battle.
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

I think everybody is loosing the point here. It matters not how you start the turn, but how you finish it. If you have lots of speed and make a shallow entry into the swoop, you will do well.

Arguing about initiation methods is simply superstition; like wearing your "lucky socks" before hitting the field of battle.

Nice one, Brian.