gmac324

Downsizing to crossfire 2

Just wanting to bounce this off a few people before I go ahead and purchase anything too small.

I have put my last 200 jumps on a sabre2 135 loaded at 1.51 and have recently lost 18 lbs of weight.

I now feel that the canopy is very slow and is harder to get a long swoop out of than before.

I am currently jumping a stiletto 135 at 1.4 ish and will try a stlletto 120 at 1.6 in 20 or so jumps more.

My eventual goal would be to purchase a crossfire 2 119 loaded at 1.6. My basic question is; is that too aggressive a canopy and wingloading for a skydiver with 450 jumps?

I do intend to swoop it, but currently do 90-180 degree carving landings, and only when there is space in the landing area.

I have never jumped a canopy that has felt fast or scared me, but don't want to put myself in unencessary danger.

Graeme

I would suggest to try to fly one first. I cant say that the wingloading is too high, a few people have jumped much higher at your level and do fine (not to say everyone would, you HAVE to be current and heads up). I just went from a xfire2 loaded at 1.35 to one loaded at 1.67 and its one hefty difference, but its exactly where I want to be. Do your best to get a hold of one and put a few jumps on it. Personally if you are cautious and you think you can handle it, give it a shot and be safe!

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I have put my last 200 jumps on a sabre2 135 loaded at 1.51 and now feel that the canopy is very slow and is harder to get a long swoop out of than before.

The Sabre2 is an awesome swooping canopy. My only beef with my old Sabre2 was it's relatively quick recovery arc. But I have video of myself out swooping a similarily loaded Samurai. So instead of remarking that this canopy is too slow, maybe you should change your approach styles to get more speed out of it instead of thinking that the only way to generate speed is to downsize.

My eventual goal would be to purchase a crossfire 2 119 loaded at 1.6. My basic question is; is that too aggressive a canopy and wingloading for a skydiver with 450 jumps?

I'm not going to comment on whether or not, this is too aggressive (for fear that canopy nazis will step in). But I have a Crossfire2 139 loaded at a fraction under 1.6:1 and I love this canopy. I started flying it at jump #401 and have since made 74 jumps on it and have done well in the thin air of Colorado.

I have never jumped a canopy that has felt fast or scared me, but don't want to put myself in unencessary danger.

Once again changing your approach types (when traffic permits) instead of downsizing right away will give you some added speed and might even scare you. In other words, it wasn't until I started doing 270s that I started noticing that I was able to out swoop my old Sabre2 with the Crossfire2.

This is hypocritical as I did not max out my Sabre2 before moving on to my Crossfire2, but one really should max out a canopy before one downsizes. And based on your comments, you have not maxed out your canopies.

But at the same time, you will like the Crossfire2 if you decide on getting one and Icarus does recommend loading the Crossfire2 some where between 1.4:1 and 2.0:1 (of course the canopy can be flown at a lower wing loading).

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Basically i started jumping a cf2 at your numbers[400+] loaded at 1.6+![i now have appox 200 jumps under the cf2]
Demo one first,but be aware the crossfire will dive faster,steeper and longer than the Stiletto your currently jumping even at the same WL.
However it's not as 'twichy' as the stiletto due to the long toggle stroke IMO. I'd advise jumping a 129/139 first before downsizing as i'll think your find it's a very different animal but in a positive sense.
Be carefull, have fun;)
edited to add:Do discuss your choice with your mentors first.i.e.they know you:)
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

I jump a cf2 at 1.85 and I started with 350 jumps.. I have gotten alot of ridicule on here about it, but as long as you are safe and have ample training then it shouldnt be a huge issue... just remember go back to the absolute basics when using a new canopy.. the cf2 dives a ton more than the sabre or stilletto so if you are not prepared for it you will find yourself digging out..or worse... I would say demo one that is the equivilent to what you are jumping now..then downsize ..if that is your goal... to what you are really comfortable with...be honest to yourself and dont jump the gun... when I started jumping my first canopy was a 149 crossfire with an exit weight of about 185+... the crossfire has an excellent flare and you will also notice it doesnt turn as fast as a stilletto.. but the dive on the otherhand... well I havent jumped anything that dives more (and I havent jumped crossbraced) just take it easy...the concept is the same on landing (which you should already be familiar with if you are thinking of downsizing)...I would say as most when changing types of canopies stay the same size at first so you can simply see the difference in how that model recats to certain things at the same wingload, then if you are going for more speed/distance/ smaller gear... well you get the picture..
be safe and have fun.. btw if you talk to simon at icarus tell him yoshi says hi!

-yoshi

I have put my last 200 jumps on a sabre2 135 loaded at 1.51 and have recently lost 18 lbs of weight.

Nice - how many do you do in a year on average? How long do you normally go from season to season without jumping (winter)?

I think only yourself and qualified pilots at the dz can answer that (i.e. people who see you land all the time) - what do they think?

Cool thing about demos is that you can test jump them in ideal conditions. I believe most people are capable of landing wings they shouldn't be on in ideal conditions, so be honest with yourself when demoing on how you'd handle the same canopy in the worst conditions you can think of.

Remember too, that the CF2 is going to dive significantly longer than the stiletto you're jumping so give yourself plenty of time to relearn how the canopy flys before adding additional speed.

Good luck, be safe, and demo demo demo!

Blue skies
Ian
ps: Practise flat turns on every jump :)
Performance Designs Factory Team

Put on 18# of lead!:P I put a couple of hundred jumps on a 129 Omega Eliptical 7 cell and at 300 or so jumps demoed several 9 cell elipticals and ended up buying a Crossfire 1 99' and much to everyones dismay I survived the transition admirably. The Crossfires fly big in comparison to the Stilletto but the recovery arc is much longer. As with any HP canopy, don't paint yourself into a corner. Take your time learning the canopy and you should be fine.

I jump all year round, normally at least 3 or 4 a weekend, but up to 10 a weekend in the summer.

I really dislike the stiletto's short recovery arc, and feel less happy swooping it, than my sabre 2. The stiletto is just a loan from an instructor to get used to flying an elliptical before trying anything smaller.

All I need to do now is find a demo crossfire 2 [:/]

Pretty impossible in the uk.

Jump numbers have NOTHING to do with whether or not you are ready for that canopy. Find a competent canopy pilot and have them watch you fly. They can ask you alot of questions like how have your landings been? Standups? What is your swooping methodology? And much much more.. Get good advice from a good pilot. I am sure someone on here knows a great pilot in your area..

I have 425 jumps now and have over 200 on a xf2 loaded between 1.85 and 2.0.. I know I can fly the canopy. I have been coached, checked, checked and rechecked again by my peers. If you don't KNOW you can fly the canopy you might just be ahead of yourself? You could allways demo one.. Do some high altitude hop-n-pops and get alot of flight time.. Build some muscle memory and be carefull..

Rhino

Only seen 2 at St Andrews so far, Dave West and Vicky Wilkinson both have 109's.

How many are at Strathallan , Andrew Hilton mentioned someone having a 99?

I managed to get a 119 crossfire 2 from icarus with 300 jumps and a new set of vectran lines on it. Been a factory demo for the last 6 months so I got a good deal.

Should be jumping it at the start of next year :)
Graeme

Just got my first CF2 129/ I was planning on going with a 119 and had my instructors consent for that size. Found a good deal on the 129 and decided to go for it. I am downsizing from a SA135. I love the canopy. Openings are superior to anything else I have flown. I wingsuit a lot and it still preforms flawlessly. Perfect "all around" canopy for the experienced canopy pilot. amazing openings but a hot rod once its open. BTW I load it at 1.64.

I think CF2 is a great canopy. I owned couple of them and the openings are the best ones i'v ever had. It dives but you have to work for it and be very accurate on the set up. Unfortunately it has a positive recovery arc so if you end up high your swoop is screwed. Over all it is superb. Demo and get what you think is appropriate for your level today. Good luck