prost

Optimal wingloading for swoop distance vs. Speed.

I've jumped a velocity 103, 96, 90 and 84 at various wingloadings with various weight configurations. I find I get my best swoops under a 90 with weights loading it around 2.3

I'm pretty sure the school of thought is the bigger wing with a loading around 2.3 will yield the best results. Maybe Chuck can confirm or correct this?

I found that the sizes bigger than the 90 would be "too slow" no matter how much weight I packed on and the 84 gave me no room to get heavier with a relatively small wing (but was the most fun to fly).

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I am curious to know what people think is the optimal wing loading with ultra high (ex. VX, velo, Xaos-27) performance canopies for distance and speed in swoop competitions.

i've heard some people are going to as low as 2.0 for what they think in optimal, while others are saying 2.1 or 2.2.

i personally like 2.3, for any of the 3 you listed. that's what always seams to be the best wing loading for me at least.

later

We're seeing our team guys going to loadings of about 2.1-2.2ish.... (primarily for distance/carve/accuracy)... then for the speed event, they add lead to up the loading. This way they jump one size and "dial it in", and jump the same size for speed comp, only loaded higher by the lead.

Chris

hey GZ, how much weight are we talking about here? I figured only 10 pounds would really effect the way a high performance canopy flies.

Just curious... :)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

wow 30 pounds!

Hey here's an idea I was tossing around the other day. Why not load some weight up on your ankles (like ankle running weights). I think this would elongate the recovery arc of a canopy (i.e. you would swing out more behind the canopy in an aggressive dive). Maybe not that much but every bit helps, right? :D Thoughts?

let my inspiration flow,

I've jumped with 30 (combination of a weight vest and belly band). It's DEFINATELY not a good idea unless you know what you're doing. It dramatically increases the decent rate of the canopy. I hook a LOT higher when I'm wearing that kind of weight.

If you're serious about learning swooping, the time would be far better spent focusing on technique (body position, flare techniques, smoothness) than packing on weights at this stage.

As mentioned before, ankle weights may not be the best solution :)
Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

For distance, some guys are going as light as 1.8 (Nate Gilbert) for distance, but others like 2.05. I load lightest on my 79 at 2.23, so that's what I use. For speed, I pile on about 12 pounds, but know people who, seriously, wear about 30 pounds for speed. Yes, you lose distance when you pile on lead, but most speed courses are only 190 feet, so that is not the issue.

[QUOTE]Good luck running out a landing with ankle weights on.[/QUOTE]

Oh shit, shows you how far I thought out that idea. :o

I was just speaking theoretically anyways, I'm not anywhere near wanting to increase my WL anytime soon.

let my inspiration flow,

Perhaps a look at manufacturer recommendations may help. PD obviously puts a ton of R&D into designing a canopy, I'm sure somewhere someone has taken some aero classes and crunched some max glide numbers to plan out the planform for the canopy. This would mean somewhere along the way they'd have to have a specified loading to design around. What do you think?
beer

***Good luck running out a landing with ankle weights on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most comps i've seen people are sliding them out anyways

------------------------------------------------------------

Still not a good idea. If you should need to run, you got trouble. If you should chow, it's extra weight at the end of your leg where it has all sorts of leverage to snap bones.