firematic47

anyone pay for packing class during A license training

Not me, but it will depend greatly on the people around and the nature of the DZ.

I can see great value to a packing class if it is run well.

I see great value to getting training/experience from instructors/riggers/packers at your local club.

I think the best might be found at a class being offered (optional) at a DZ where you can learn for free as people have time to assist you... The instructor has insentive to be focused on just teaching (not between jumps, not while teaching other things) and (s)he will know that, since you paid for it you expect to get your money's worth...

A manditory (paid) class may not be that focused on getting you your monies worth as much as just checking off the box.

Personally - when I've got time, I don't mind helping teach/give pointers... even 1/2 taught a packer I had hired to pack my own main (he was new, my back was sore and I still wanted to jump).

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

A packing endorsement is required by the CSPA in order to get your "A" Licence in Canada. At my home DZ they offer a Packing Course that cost about 60-65 dollars. It involves doing 10 supervised Pack Jobs with a "Mess test "on the 11th unsupervised. Supervised packs have 5 check points where a RA,JM,SSI or C2 must check before moving on to the next step.
Alot of People take the course as they will be packers for the DZ and earn money for jumping.

Over here it's 25 euro for a packing class if you're not a member (AFF students are automatic members the year of their FJC). Packing courses are free if you're a member.
The packing class is a half-day supervised show-and-tell type of deal + some supervised packjobs.

If you just need a checkpoint check later on, that's always free. As is the mess test to get signed off.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I guess I went at it backasswards. I learned how to pack to pay for my freefall course. Trying to get the course done and packing rental rigs 2 minutes after landing while jacked up on adrenaline didn't work great though. Packed 2 locked up break "malfunctions" while doing it. Missed the ring on the daisy chain and the toggles wouldn't unstow. Dude chopped it twice. Probably not worthy of a chop but I sure felt like an asshole watching him land under reserve twice that weekend because I made the same mistake. Had a lot of beers in his trailer that weekend...

Probably a lot different at a small dropzone since every student is a potential staff member coming down the pipe, and was worth a bit of a push start in learning how to do these things.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson