Blahr

Different flare?

Howdy,

I'll be making my first jumps since 1995 in just a couple weeks.

I'll be flying a Sabre2 210 loaded at about 1.08 to 1.

I was last seen jumping a PD-190 (F-111) 9 cell loaded about the same as my new one. That F-111 canopy was brand new when I was jumping it. I put the very first 30 jumps on it then stopped jumping.

Is there any significant difference in the way I should flare the Sabre 2 as opposed to the PD-190?

Hi Blahr, I've got 100 or so jumps on my saber2 190 loaded at 1.35. The saber2 is one of the sweetest canopys out there, the bottom end is awesome. The flare is two stage, you pull down on the toggles until you feel the canopy start to plane out, and than stop. You will swing forward under the canopy, when you feel the canopy start to sink as your speed drops off, finsh your flare. If you try to flare in one smooth stroke the canopy will pick you back up. Note: once you pull the toggles all the way down you're committed to landing hold those toggles down.
Like wise stabbing the toggles has always produced a negavite results for me. The saber2 has a great flare, fly it all the way to the ground.

blue skies

jerry

>>The flare is two stage

I am no canopy expert but I gotta disagree about a two stage flare, I think the flare should be one motion, you must find the sweet spot of your canopy flare so that when you flare you do it in one stage. If am not mistaken a good flare usually takes you up a lil bit, you transform the forward speed into lift. When flaring don't do one fast flare, do a smooth one motion flare, something like saying flaaaree.

Since am a newbie take everything I said with salt because I might be wrong in a lot of things or maybe in everything.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I am no canopy expert but I gotta disagree about a two stage flare, I think the flare should be one motion, you must find the sweet spot of your canopy flare so that when you flare you do it in one stage. If am not mistaken a good flare usually takes you up a lil bit, you transform the forward speed into lift. When flaring don't do one fast flare, do a smooth one motion flare, something like saying flaaaree.

I think you're right... teh best as we already discussed would be to do a canopy control course, and after all that, it won't be flaaaare, but flaaaaaaaaa(wow!)aaare :P
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

I am no canopy expert but I gotta disagree about a two stage flare, I think the flare should be one motion, you must find the sweet spot of your canopy flare so that when you flare you do it in one stage.

In his book on canopy flying Brian Germain discusses what he calls the "Bump the Sweet Spot" method of flaring. It's on page 17 of the clicky above. The book itself gives a great description of the technique for landing and canopy flying as well as mixing in some good lesson in aero. Strongly recommend this read for everyone and then, go back and read it two or three times a year after that.

IMHO, you would be hard-pressed to find many people (John LeBlanc is one who comes to mind) as respected as Brian in this arena.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

In his book on canopy flying Brian Germain

VERY GOOD BOOK! thanks, my HP landing improved a 110% after reading that book yesterday.

Do you know of another book that talks about HP landings (PM me please)?

Blahr sorry for the small hijack. :)

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I am no canopy expert but I gotta disagree about a two stage flare, I think the flare should be one motion, you must find the sweet spot of your canopy flare so that when you flare you do it in one stage.

Neither am I. But there is nothing wrong with 2-stage flares. Canopies are different and there is many different ways to land them.
villem
life is what you make it to be
http://www.youtube.com/villu357
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skybound

I like to think of it as flying with the seat of your pants (an old aviation term) and each jump is a little different from the last one. The way I approach my landings is to initiate the initial plane-out flare (often by letting go of the front risers, sometimes initiate with a short toggle stroke) and then I wait to feel my canopy start to lose it's lift (the seat of the pants feel). Adding a little more toggle input until I feel the canopy plane-out and then repeat the process of waiting for that seat of the pants feel, etc, etc, etc until at some point the canopy losses all lift and it's time to shut down. I'm no swoop machine, but I've got neat video of myself with my shadow showing this seat of the pants approach to flaring. :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over