cjr184

Demon

I posted this in Gear and Rigging but I guess it would make sense to post it here to!

We have just received two Demon canopies from Performance Variable that are available for demo starting now. The sizes are 90 and 100 and if anybody would be interested you can either PM me or shoot me an email at [email protected] (sorry I can't do clicky!).

Blue Ones!
"I'm like a superhero...with no powers or motivation."

I use a friends rig with a Demon 110 as backup rig if there is a lot videowork to do. The openings are better then my stiletto 135, I don't like the closing system of the slider. PD's slider is better in my opinion. Demon 110 is of course faster as my stiletto 135, the swoops are longer but I have more lift at the end of a swoop with my stiletto. The demon is a good canopy but can not compete with a velocity 103/111. My exitweight is > 100 Kg. Small details : on 2 months 2 people crashed with the Demon on my dropzone (Skydivecenter Spa Belgium) (1 was coming from a stiletto 150 to a demon 110 (the one I jump from time to time), the other jumped a demon 100 and was coming from a contreal 150. Packing is very easy with performance variable but I'm a true Performance Designs fan, I wait for the new Katana. Turning goes faster on my stiletto. Cheers.

Is there anyone out there who is surprised that downsizing from a 150 to 100 sqf canopy can end up in a crash???

As a rule you should never downsize more than 10 % (give or take a little) in one step, and you should not downsize and change type of canopy at the same time.

I jumped some demo Demons and was impressed about the performance for such a constructed canopy. I usually jump everything including a velocity 90 and 103. I started with a Demon 90 followed by an 80. Both canopies have the performance between a Stilletto and a Cross braced canopy like my Velocities.

Just for fun I jumped the Demon 60 and could easily get a nice swoop on rear risers finishing in a toggle flair. Not bad for this wingloading, about 3,2.

Great and beautiful manufacture work!

The canopy shows that was built with the objective of eliminating to the maximum the parasit drags that result of anormal protuberances and saliencies in any airfoil.
Thus, all the panels, top skin, bottom skin ribs and loops of connection of the lines is sewn inside of the canopy.
Each cell also has two panels in the bottom skin and top skin (like the cobalt just has in the top skin)
The outside half cell is completely closed in the nose. The air enters for the cross-ports
The nose of 3 o'clock and 6 load cel are closed in triangle.

After observing this canopy I was right that is the ram-air canopy more developed that I saw even today. And that I was soon submissive to this canopy and desirous of testing.

Container Racer Elite
22" Pilot Chute
Load for 2.15
Jumps with null wind and moderate wind, opennings in terminal and sub-terminal speed

Opennings:
Very good, aligned, progressive and soft in terminal and sub terminal speed
To canopy it flies very to the front still with the braks stowed

In flight:
Very sensitive canopy, big Glide Ratio, superior to the cobalt. It is in fact diabolical to go down in full flight
Aggressive turns
Pressure of front risers is moderate
Negative recovery arch
Canopy with overstear in turns
Good Swoop and flare very very long with big power lift e final same with no wind

In summary:

I think that this canopy is in the continuation of the cobalt but has more trim angle (I don't know it this is real better for swoop) and a cleaner construction than gives a better aerodynamic use. I think that even without being well cross braced this canopy, with top pilot, can compete directly with the VE, Xaos and VX in the swoop competitions.
But is the canopy for experts only because is very fast and sensitive.

Roq

[:/] We know that accident and I think it is not the Problem of the Canopy. Usually it is a mistake by the Pilot. You could not see in somebodys brain if he have the experience to land Hp canopies. And belive me, the DEMON flies better than everything on the market. We have a customer how changed from Velocity to tree new Demon!