skycat

hooknswoop swoops!!

Ok, I know a lot of you have wanted to see some 1st person video of hook swooping. Since I was playing with my new video editing software I thought I'd throw one together for you all to see.

I'm still learning how this software works so bare with me, and if you don't like it......Call someone who cares. :P:D

It's 1.8 megs

www.jumpergirl.com/hangerswoop.mpg
Fly it like you stole it!

He discovered how easy the editing software is, and now he is making it's all about him videos.

Can you blame him? He's got to make up for being short, ya know...>:(:P

(oh, i'm soooo getting banned for that one, i know it):P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

From a 1st person point of view, that was a bad ass fast swoop from Hook (one can only image how farther he could have gone if he used a slightly larger canopy). Of course I was hoping that someone was videoing him from the ground (as I'd still like to do sometime in the future). Is Hook still kind of semi-retired from Skydiving? There was apparently a pond swoop competition out at Brush yesterday (which I was NOT a part of) and I wonder if anyone told Hook about it. I'm also wondering (hoping) that nobody hurt themselves yesterday and since I've yet to see a new incident report, I'm hoping this is the case. Of course it's no guarantee. And I also digress from this topic "Hook's swoop video".

So what software are you using? I know a lot of people like Adobe's Premiere, but recently I started making my own skydiving movie with VideoStudio version 7.x and it does what I need it to do. Also, I know this isn't the case as Hook does have a hot swoop, but you can't always believe what you see in these videos as the speed can be sped up or slowed down with the right software.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

From a 1st person point of view, that was a bad ass fast swoop from Hook (one can only image how farther he could have gone if he used a slightly larger canopy). Of course I was hoping that someone was videoing him from the ground (as I'd still like to do sometime in the future).

I'll look around for some video from the ground, but it is really rare that he is in the air without the camera and I'm on the ground. (he wears video on all AFF jumps and most fun jumps)

Is Hook still kind of semi-retired from Skydiving?

We usually make a few jumps a month for both of us to stay current and to keep his ratings current, but other than that we rarely jump anymore. But this video was shot only like 3 weeks ago when the 2 of us were out sitflying.

There was apparently a pond swoop competition out at Brush yesterday (which I was NOT a part of) and I wonder if anyone told Hook about it. I'm also wondering (hoping) that nobody hurt themselves yesterday and since I've yet to see a new incident report, I'm hoping this is the case. Of course it's no guarantee

As for the swoop competition, no no one told Derek about it until we got out there and they were on round 2. So after they did round 2 where the most cones hit were 2, Derek was on the next load, and decided to swoop the course he hit all 4 cones and his canopy landed in the center of the target. When he went inside all the competitors started whining that the winds were to high and bumpy for them to really get good swoops. (to cut them some slack, the winds were 14 gusting to 20) After Jason heard Derek hit all 4 he asked Derek to join them in the pond swooping, all Derek said is "I don't swoop water" and we went home after that. So as of round 2, no injuries, lots of out of control landings and butt slides though.:S They did call the next round for winds though, cause I think it was the distance round.

So what software are you using? I know a lot of people like Adobe's Premiere, but recently I started making my own skydiving movie with VideoStudio version 7.x and it does what I need it to do. Also, I know this isn't the case as Hook does have a hot swoop, but you can't always believe what you see in these videos as the speed can be sped up or slowed down with the right software.

We have Pinnacle Studio 8 which came free with my new computer, I know some people don't like it, but it was FREE so no complaints from me. Actually it's super easy to use, it didn't come with a book or anything, and if Derek can sit down and start making an all about him video with me just showing him the basic steps he needs to do.....it is easy to use software. B| As for speeding or slowing the video down. I haven't figured out how to do that with the software yet, I can slow it down with the camera, but that is about it. That video is in real time speed and nothing was distorted with the video...he really does start his hook at about 1000ft.
Fly it like you stole it!

Well I'm glad to hear that nobody was hurt out at Brush yesterday and it's possible that Mother Nature was responsible for this, as some of us feared that a few people would be trying to go big what with all of the cameras and the need to do better than the next guy. I mean face it, there's not that many truly qualified pond swoopers here in CO.

I wasn't there for a few reasons:

1) Rantoul took a toll on my bank account.
2) I don't think I'm qualified to swoop the pond yet.
3) The winds seemed to be blowing fairly strong yesterday.
4) I didn't want to witness some friends messing themselves up.

As to speeding up or slowing down the footage, it's possible that your software doesn't do this (I actually had to upgrade my software from the original bundled version to get this much desired feature). But having seen Hook swoop when he briefly worked at Mile-Hi and/or I visited SDTR, I know he comes in fast and totally believe that that was his actual approach speed (plus he did swoop much farther than most of us can). ;)

PS: Maybe with Hooks approval, he will let me include some of his swoop footage in my amateur not-for-profit skydiving movie which I am in the process of making (I have three songs completed with another three in the works) for friends and family. I'll need my reserve repacked in the not too distant future and might talk to him about it at that time. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have footage of at least one of Derek's swoops at Canon. It is kind of rough because you can't help but get a little nervous when someone zings past you at 70+.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

I saw this... if I remember the kids moved and he ran into a trash barrel instead of hitting one of the kids... I also have video of him swooping over the pond at SL when he was still on the FX-70... but it was just that, over the pond, no attempt to get water. There was no attempt to get water on the other one either.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

No injuries at Brush this weekend, and believe me, there are some qualified pond swoopers in Colorado.

Posted some chows of mine on this forum.

http://dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=617048;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Excellant video to come.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."