sarge57

barrel rolls under canopy

Was watching some mpgs of barrel rolls under canopy, and was looking for the "technique" that gets this accomplished...not to try it, but to understand the dynamics...thanx to anyone who knows...Sarge:S
ooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaatttarrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuusssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where did you see the MPegs?

I saw Heath do this the other day. In person, it is kind of a mind-f@#k to watch. I would agree that the dymamics of it were confusing to me also.

As a matter of fact... now that I think of it, I am going to ask him tomorrow.

I found it on DZ-com...was through this guys FTP...I'll see if I can figure the copy and paste thing real quick...
ooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaatttarrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuusssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, there tiz....thanx for the assist....I aint no puter wiz, but that'll work...now back to the question...HOW DAY DO DAT...[:/]

I think one of the PD guys said a little short paragraph on it and what it takes a few years back. Not wanting to glorify or propagate the desire to do the maneuver . I believe you have to be loaded at 1:7 ish to 1 or higher and then goes on to explain more about it. Up high it sounds fun down low not for the inexperienced.

That would explain the one mpg where the guy eats it, cuz he was doin these just before landing...not a chance I'd try it low, and I'm loaded 1.1 anyway...I cant tell if he's pulling the rears first to get an upward throw, and then a fast front riser dive or what...its too "grainy"...

Thanx a bunch, and Rantoul is close....Im thinkin of divorcin the wife, quitin the job, turnin out the dog, sellin the truck and bussin my ass out there....but then theres always next year...Blue Skies, Safe Landings...

Dear Sarge...

If you are anywhere near San Diego, I invite you to see this for real. As I watched you barrel roll mpg, I noticed this is very similar to a saddle turn incorporated with a toggle turn.
San Diego has a camera man (nick named toggle dave) who flies a Stiletto 120 with a wing loading over 1.5 and lands consistently this way every time with accuracy. Mind you he has been landing on that same spot for the last three years so he should be on target. But that technique is the exact maneuver.
I have seen him come a little close at times and he loves the attention.
Toggle turn with saddle input. Throws you right over with high wing loading.
We all just watch...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Yeah, that is great and all. Believe me, the one that I saw Heath pull off the other day makes that look like childs play. I mean, he's flying a 74 something. Believe me, it looked cool.

However, did you guys check out "BRoll3"? OUCH!!!!

Better get a few more thousand swoops under my belt before I even think about it.

Yes, BArrel roll #3 is the most pointful one.
I show my"Bigger, better, sooner,faster" friends all 3 with the 3rd expanded screen.

The way it was explained to me:

Do any maneuver to create speed (riser dive, toggle snap, whatever) then pull both rears to get lift and nearing the top of that flare let one rear riser up. Barrel roll! Scary the first time. Don't do near the ground.