spectar135

learning new stuff

I wanted to know if someone out there can help me figure out what i am doing wrong and how to correct it. I currently jump a Spectre 135 and I'm trying some different canopies to see what I'm looking for. The problem I am having is everytime I try a 9-cell I always biff in the first landing. I can't seem to figure out the flare up high causing a sometimes painful landing.B|
The last I jumped was a Hurricane 120. I am still underloading it but that's fine. It was a great deal more responsive in the harness. I loved it! When it came to the landing, I believe I flared too late and surfed too low then had no room for the nice lift at the end[:/] It didn't help that the container was far too large for my frame. I had a hard time reaching the slider and the leg straps weren't nearly tight enough. Any suggestions?

Best bet is to have someone video your landings. You'll then be able to see what you're doing and make the necessary corrections. Good luck!
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Cora's right: get video (and coaching).
Out of curiousity what do you consider underloading?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Underloading 1:1 my exit weight is 140 and to jump
a 135 or 120(eliptical) is underloading. Not that I think wing loading is everything. Sometimes it helps get a feel for the design and function of the canopy. It just seems difficult to find the flare when I'm off my 7 cell spectre. I'm not sure if I'm flaring too soon or too late or what. Just wanted to hear the progression of others and what sticks out as a common error.

I of all people am not a canopy nazi, but even at that wingload with your experience..200 jumps or so...I would say you should be able to get plenty of performance out of the spectre... 9 cells arent everything (even though that is what I jump) but I have "swooped" a 288 manta (9 cell) and a 220 fury (7 cell crew/accuracy canopy) at way less than 1:1 wingload. even on the 288 manta which is also f111 I achieved about a 25 foot swoop with a slow 90 degree front riser carver (it had to be kind of slow since there were no dive loops and it was hard to grab)... I would say jsut stick with your canopy now and with the size and wingload you should be able to acheive plenty of performance with some coaching and practice..

jsut my 2 ones
-yoshi

I can't seem to figure out the flare up high causing a sometimes painful landing.

AS well your comment about there is more to flight characteristics then landing... hmmmm? Seems like the best place to start to me?

Sounds like you are lacking flair in the canopy control department. It takes some flair to safely land a demo that is higher performance than what you're used to. First thing might be, finding its stall point and then working backwards to 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 brakes "up high." So, come landing time you flare at just about the same time as you would on your Spectre only now you are more familiar with this particular canopy's input locations.

I believe I flared too late and surfed too low then had no room for the nice lift at the end...

Secondly, if you were "too low" we probably woulnd't be talking right now. Maybe sufing a demo on the first jump should be discouraged until you have more flair on that canopy.

Thirdly, you bled your speed off going deeper on the brakes [digging out/stabbing] because you flared too late. therfore you had insufficient speed to get that, "nice lift at the end"

So curious also, that you had time to waste playing with harness controls, on an obviously over-sized harness, but "can't seem to figure out the flare up high?" Anyway, try hooking the canopy up to your own rig. And use your time "up high" more responsibly.

And I do agree there is more to canopy flying than pond swooping, you should have some flair flying one first.

And like has already been mentioned some canopy coaching sounds like a very good idea, if not sooner, then no later than the moment you get your new canopy. It's not the loading that will kill you its the landing!!!
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

If you get video and have some place to host it, you can post a link here.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Thanks, I am looking into coaching. I wish more places had it. I don't have a home dz and am not real close to any. I do intend on trying the stall piont you made. thanks for the input:)

Your profile says you are from New York. There are PLENTY of pro swoopers at the Ranch. Talk to Sonic, Oren Perry, or Pun.

Chuck