falxori

alti mirror

what would you say about using a small (panoramic ?) mirror on your alti strap to check for overhead traffic just before pulling ?
i've seen camera ppl use it to check the LED, so why not for ppl ?
besides, looks like a better way to stay stable than rolling or a quick head turn...
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

Impractical, more trouble than it'd be worth IMO.

The situations when you're not sure about the airspace above you should be pretty rare. If they're not, there's something wrong with the break-off procedures... The times I've felt it necessary to make absolutely certain there's nobody above me, a barrelroll has worked just fine.

Another note: If someone does decide to install a mirror on the alti, make sure it's made of security glass or plastic. You don't want regular glass strapped on your wrist; it could turn a non-incident biff-in into a serious bleeder.:o

A camera person may use a mirror to check the LED because it is the simplest way to do it and it doesn't put them or anyone else in danger by doing so.

If a person was using a mirror they would have to make sure to have the angle correct and remember that images are reversed in a mirror. But even more of a concern is the problem of a smaller field of view then you would have if you turned around and looked.

If a person was to use a mirror to check for overhead traffic I would be very concerned about there safety and others as well because they didn't want to spend a tiny bit more time to get a full field of view by turning around.

I can see the logic of a cameraman (to check record light) or tandem instructor (to check drogue) wearing a mirror, but cannot quite see the logic of a solo jumper wearing a mirror. Most mirrors have blind spots. When I driving a car, I never trust mirrors and half the time I turn my head to double-check before changing lanes, etc. A solo jumper has far more flexibility to turn his head and look over both shoulders, or as our Finnish friend suggested, do a barrel roll.

:)Never! It would be really dangerous.

If you want to be sure if the airspace is free then use your neck :) if you are not sure if you can turn your head +/-90 degrees without loosing your stable body position then you need a serious ground training. :)
blue skies,

z