JPA

javelin reserve flap

I did a search and couldn't find anything related to this.

I recently bought a second hand javelin J1 and have a question regarding the reserve flap. On this model, the reserve flap does not tuck into the main mid flap like it does on the newer models. Obviously this new modification was introduced to make the flap more secure while freeflying. The rigger I bought it from (15000+ jumps) said the J1 is fine for sit/stand flying. Does anyone have experience freeflying this rig and know if the flap is at all prone to coming open? Cheers,
Jesse.

Yep, exactly my experience too. I used to own Javelin DOM 95 or 96 and it had similar reserve flap. I practised sitflying, standup and some headdown with it and never had any problems with the reserve flap. The main flap did open occasionally though.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

The flap mod came out on mid 98 Jav's from everything I've been able to figure out.

With or without its fine for normal everyday freeflying. Only issue is on the backouts for 4 way/ RW you just need to make sure you don't snag it and open it. This caused a death and Caravan crash last year.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com