andy2

beginner type question...

this might be a stupid question, is practicing swooping way up high a good thing for a beginner to do, i.e. front riser it, then plane it out, maybe using a friend so you can judge distance. I would think for getting muscle memory this would be crucial. Then said beginning swooper could move it down where injury/death starts to become a worry. Did anyone learn swooping this way?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

There have been a lot of threads on this topic. Try doing a search for "learning to swoop", how to Swoop" etc. There is a lot of information out there and your question has been specifically addressed. Although I am not a swooper I have found doing a couple of CRW jumps to be really helpful in learning canopy control, which is vital when learning how to swoop. Swooping is a lot more than just making your canopy go fast.

I just looked at your profile. I am not trying to be jerk or anything, but if your jump #'s are correct I wouldn't even worry about swooping yet. Learn to make accurate straight in landings first. Good swoopers put there canopy where they want it. If you can't land where you want straight in at normal speeds you definitely will not be able to do it at higher speeds.

Also look at your reasons for wanting to swoop. If you just want to impress people you may want to rethink it. I like the cruising across the ground part. I can come straight in under my 160, no front risers and if I flare right I can get 20-25 sometimes 30 feet out of a swoop. That doesn't sound or look impressive, but when I look down it feels like I am going a lot further, and I want to swoop for the feeling anyway.

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!

A good exercise is to practice your front riser carving turns up high and determine how much altitude is lost while doing 90, 180, 270 & 360 degree turns. Just remember to clear your airspace before you initiate these maneuvers. As far as swoop distance, I wouldn't worry about this sort of thing yet. I know I get a reasonable swoop considering my canopy, wing loading, location and current experience level. But my swoops are nothing compared to the more accomplished swoopers.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

no doubt that it will be a couple hundred jumps before I start to swoop, but its always good to plan ahead. Thanks for the info, guys, I appreciate it.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

But my swoops are nothing compared to the more accomplished swoopers.

Considering the fact that many of those "more accomplished swoopers" include broken bones in their list of accomplishments, I wouldn't worry too much not having matched their accomplishments.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.