Skyper

Noise levels and noise protection in skydiving

An interesting research about noise levels and noise protection in skydiving:

Skydivers who wear hearing protection (rated class 3 or stronger) are less likely to receive a noise dose higher than 9.73% per skydive and would not exceed his or her noise dose if skydiving 10 times or less within an 8 hour time frame. Alternatively, skydivers who do not wear hearing protection (or hearing protection rated weaker than class 3) are more likely to receive a noise dose higher than 9.73% per skydive and would exceed his or her noise dose if skydiving 11 times or more within an 8 hour time frame.

http://www.myavaa.org/documents/JDVAC-2011-Presentations/Penman_JDVAC2011.pdf

Skydiverek, i use the ones with average of 33dB damping. But, there is one important detail: earplugs must fit well. In other words, if ear plugs are not custom made or made of very soft material which fits well it's damping power is lower than it should be.

I consider now buying the custom made (very expensive) ones.

Skydiverek, following this research earplugs rated class 3 and higher would be enough for 10 jumps a day. The intensity of sound is very high (up to 115dB), but the duration is very short.

I've been looking for the values for that "class 3 rating" and it appears that it is about 19dB (only).

26dB damping, (which is very close to class 5 rating) would be more than enough, at least following the research results mentioned above.

33dB is usually worn if you work in very noisy environment (above 100dB) 8 hours per day... :)

You can get versions that are more effective, but I think they are quite effective enough.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Skydiverek, following this research earplugs rated class 3 and higher would be enough for 10 jumps a day. The intensity of sound is very high (up to 115dB), but the duration is very short.

I've been looking for the values for that "class 3 rating" and it appears that it is about 19dB (only).

26dB damping, (which is very close to class 5 rating) would be more than enough, at least following the research results mentioned above.

33dB is usually worn if you work in very noisy environment (above 100dB) 8 hours per day... :)

Do know that 30 sec exposure to 115 db noise can/will damage your hearing.
More than 8 hr at 85 db will damage your hearing.
+3 db = twice as much noise or half the exposure time before you damage your hearing. To calculate the time you have to take also the time in account that you are sitting in the plane, listening to loud music ...