bergh

Persue a 1.1 loading or stay with a bigger canopy

Hi people

I am have done 40 jumps my exit weight is 70kg *2.2 =154lbs. This would mean I need a 135 canopy.

Now my question is would it be safe for me to persue the correct wingloading versus the radicalness of a smaller canopy. Keeping in mind that I am still very new to the sport.

One of the intructors at my DZ said just watch out for the very popular words "wingloading" seeing that even though 135 would give me a 1.14 loading which optimal. The differance between a 170 loaded at 1.1 and 135 loaded at 1.1 is day and night apart.

Please give your opinions ....

I looking for all view in order to make the most informed choice.

P.s. I am currently borrowing a 170 Hornet which I love to bits. I have done +-8 jumps on it. I would buy it but people have said I'll get bored with it very
quickly.

1. Why is that extra .04 optimal?

2. Have you talked to your instructors about this? They are the ones that watch you fly and know what you're capable of, so I would tend to trust their judgement over some random people on the Internet.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi

The extra .04 is because nobody make a 140 canopy
hence the extra.

My instructor has just warned me not to be hasty. I have only had 6 landing that weren't on my feat this was due to flying backward on 285 skymaster.

BTW why does a 170 hornet glide futher forward than a 190 Hornet with me under it.

hence the extra.

Those bastards. :P I guess I missed that in the previous post.

Alright, well if you personally feel that you would be safe under a smaller main, then that is your decision. You must know that wingloading and danger are not a direct corrolation. Although you would be at a low wingloading, the amount of danger for you goes up drastically.

BTW why does a 170 hornet glide futher forward than a 190 Hornet with me under it.

Where you headed into the wind when you came to this conclusion?:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Both time landing in no wind approached from the same side infact both landing were on the same day?

I was realy confused. Small fall faster:S ?

Between the 170 and the 135 is the 150-class canopy. Both 150s and 170s are very popular sizes. That means that if you get one and jump it awhile, it won't be that hard to sell.

There's an awful lot of canopy flying and skydiving you can learn on a canopy that's big enough to be comfortable on the days that you're not at peak efficiency. You know the kind -- first load of the day, the day you're jumping to clear the cotton from your head, your girlfriend just dumped you, etc...

And you can scare yourself witless with just about anything. I'd suggest at least a 150, and maybe even staying with a 170. Get something that's popular where you jump, so that it will be easy to sell. And then learn how to really fly that canopy -- don't just master landings, but figure out how to extract the most from it. Then you'll be poised to look like a real badass when you do downsize.

Not to mention that then you'll have enough knowledge to know exactly what you're looking for in a canopy by then, and a better chance of having enough money to buy it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

hence the extra.

Actualy there are at least two manufacturers that will build custom sized canopies. One of them is Precision Aerodynamics, and the other is Icarus.

Get what feels comfortable and to hell with hitting a precise wing loading.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Both time landing in no wind approached from the same side infact both landing were on the same day?

I was realy confused. Small fall faster

How many jumps do the 2 canopies have?
How much farther?

I would theorize that perhaps you piloted the smaller canopy 'better' maximizing the glide. ;)

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I was at that same point when I had 40 jumps. My DZ only had a 170 for rental, and I wanted to get a 120 with a 1.1 wingloading. So I went to another DZ over the winter, did about 10 jumps on a 150, realized with my weight under it flew almost exactly like the older 170. I then burrowed a 135 from a friend that wasn't jumping much, and ultimately started jumping my 120 canopy at around 85 jumps.
For me this canopy was the perfect choice. I landed it in a small field with barbed wire all around it, downwind, in high winds, in zero winds, and every one of those times I felt very in control of it, and never safer under canopy.

A 135 can fly a lot more aggressively, but it is always the pilot and his/her reactions that will make it do so.
My advice to you is to make as many jumps on a 150 first until you feel comfotable to downsize to a 135. You may find a 135 too fast for your liking, so demo first if you have the chance. And find yourself a good mentor, that can give you personalized advice and not the standard advice every student gets.
Also if you are prone to extremer reflexes/reactions, I'd wait longer. That is if you don't have the ability to think for a split second before you react under extreme situations or stress. Most people fall under that category at first, so check yourself and do be honest with yourself.

With at least one exception: Parachutes de France make a Springo 140. Not that they'll ship to the States.

Edit: they probably will ship to South Africa.

But I'll give you a .04 difference in wingloading is not a day-and-night difference.
Johan.
I am. I think.

BTW Why does a 170 Hornet glide further forward than a 190 Hornet with me under it?

Both times landing in no wind approaching from the same side, in fact both landings were on the same day?

Sounds like you had more speed to convert to lift, thus got a longer surf.
Johan.
I am. I think.

I have done 40 jumps; my exit weight is 154 lbs. This would mean I need (?) a 135 canopy.

What, if I may ask, is the pressing need for a 135? Demo, find out what feels comfortable, and, if I may put this into perspective, in the Netherlands you would need 500 jumps (apart from meeting other requirements) before jumping anything smaller than a 150.
I do not necessarily agree with this rule (apart from the fact it's a new and unproven rule), but it exists.

Now my question is would it be safe for me to pursue the correct (?) wingloading versus the radicalness of a smaller canopy. Keeping in mind that I am still very new to the sport.

Safety being relative in this sport, there is no one, or even just correct, answer to this question. I've never flown smaller than a 160, but my exit weight is over 210 lbs. I keep hearing however how a smaller wing will be a lot more radical than a larger wing, even at lower wingloadings. So there also is not one, or even just correct, wingloading. So demo, find out what you're comfortable with, and get advice from people that see you land.

Have fun, and don't become a statistic.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Now my question is would it be safe for me to persue the correct wingloading versus the radicalness of a smaller canopy. Keeping in mind that I am still very new to the sport. ***

It is not the small size that makes the canopy 'radical' but the choices and skill of the pilot. Select a wingloading that will allow you to build skill and learn from mistakes you will make under canopy.

1.1 is a reasonable wingloading. If you're in doubt about your wingloading/ canopy size, go big.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

It is not the small size that makes the canopy 'radical'

Size is one factor in how fast a canopy turns and responds to input. Other stuff comes into play too (planform, elipticalness <- is that a word? ), but if all else is equal, a smaller canopy will be twitchier and turn faster, and openings will be more demanding. Not wanting to deal w/ all of this at 40 jumps is understandable.

Blues

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

The difference between a 170 loaded at 1.1 and 135 loaded at 1.1 is day and night apart.

This 100% true, a 135 at 1.1 with whip the pants off a 170 at 1.1

for a 170lbs person 1.1 is a good starting point, lighter jumpers need lighter wingloadings for the same performance.

My personal opinion is that if you can rent gear, do not buy until you have 100 jumps. Also demo a bunch of stuff (read cheap gear rental)

"BTW why does a 170 hornet glide futher forward than a 190 Hornet with me under it".
Not enough info for a US to generate a clear ask.

the need to ask some of these quetions that display lower knowledge of arrow dynamics should underscore for you the need the make your basic mistakes on larger canopies.

As a experience insructor the most I would reccommend ON any type of Canopy