kremins

Does Size Matter?

I read a post sometime back that mentioned doing anything more than 90degree carves or hook turns on larger canopies (I believe anything bigger then 150sq ft.) will not result in anymore speed in the dive for your swoop. I currenty fly a Sabre2 170 loaded at 1.1 and I have been doing 90degree carving turns in the process of learning how to swoop. I was wondering if I will be able to generate any more speed doing say a 180 degree carve with this size canopy or if the speed will bleed off and I should just stick with the 90s until sometime later in my jumping career I downsize.

not that you should until you are comfortable, but this weekend I did a 180 carver on a raider 220....(jsut having some fun with student gear:) actually had a decent swoop (considering the bus I was driving:) I dont think it would be advisable on a parafoil or anything, but thats not saying it cant be done....
simply put: you can build up more speed on larger canopies, but that is not to be taken into consideration until you have reached the skill level to so so safely.

-yoshi

Why reserve the larger turn for a smaller canopy you will be less experienced with, even if it does not provide more speed? (That may have come out convoluted) Here is my point: you seem to have the intention of downsizing in the future, and want to perform high performance landings. So figure out the technique now when you have a larger margin for error. Use the fact that you have the bigger canopy and slower approach speed to allow you to become familiar with the approach, and set up, and how to integrate that with your DZ's pattern. No point in getting the small canopy, and then having to learn it from scratch.

BTW when you figure out the turn I'm sure you'll find it will produce more speed. (IMO)

Oh and please make sure you find yourself some sort of mentor.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I couldnt agree more with you....learn everything you can on a big canopy....even if it doesnt seem to go faster at least you will get a feel for the alti lost when performing larger turns....if it seems to pull out quicker learn slowly what it takes to hit the sweet spot..
-yoshi