diveout

New hp stuff from PD -rumors?

Teams are teams, and for the most part, they will almost always be better than even hard-core jumpers... Sponsored athletes tend to be like that;)

I'm not sure why anyone (except possibly teams) needs something better/faster than what's out there now. Almost no-one if fly X-braces to their potential yet, so why do we need something new?...unless it packs itself...

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I'm not sure why anyone (except possibly teams) needs something better/faster than what's out there now.

'cause it's cool man. that's why.:P

hell i don't know. i know that i'm more than happy with my vx right now, but i wish they would come out with something now, so when i get around to buying it, it will have all the problems worked out, if any at all.

later

Aerodyne was sold and gutted, and is now run and party owned by 9 cell eliptical guys.
with Ian and the Parachutes De Fance guy... it should be cool. Last I heard they are bringing out their new line at PIA.

It appears they are, it's already on their website.

http://www.aerodyne-int.com/sport/default.asp

Click 'products', then check out their new canopies and their new container.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

My roomate went to the PD sponsored team seminar (4 days) and we talked quite a bit about a 27 cell coming from PD. He said that they dont have any plans for one. That is what he was told anyways. He did mention this new technology, not crossbraced, but there were no other details other than that. The only new thing that I have seen them jumping in Deland is the 9 cell elliptical-no xbracing or airlocks...Stilleto 2????

Last I spoke to Brian about that canopy was that they were down to just minor design changes to it before he would be ready to release it. All I know is I wanna get my hands on one as soon as its out :)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have a question here.......this is for all of the swoop gods in here. I am looking at buying an X-braced canopy. I have been leaning towards the VX, but the Chaos 27 is also another option for me. Here are my questions:

1. I have heard from a few people that have Chaos 21's say that the canopies get really squirrelly when they experience turbulence, does the 27 have the same problem. What I am referring to is that the canpopies have partially collapsed when in the recovery arc for a swoop when they hit moderate turbulence. I have seen this twice also and it scared the buh jesus out of me. ( I love the openings that the Chaos gives by the way. It looks like a crossfire)

2. The VX has a reputation for slamming open sometimes. From my research, it appears that the VX is a more stable canopy in turbulence, but I have broken my back previously and I can't stand hard openings. Does anyone have any tricks for packing or slider mods or anything along these lines for smoother openings on the VX?

Currently I am jumping a Stiletto 120 @ 1.98:D I have had to do some pretty resourceful engineering on my packing methods to make this thing be nice to me, but I have been able to keep the openings consistant and at a "medium" level. I really can't afford to go much further than that on the openings. I would like to go with a VX, but if the openings can't be tamed consistantly, then I am going to have to go with the Chaos just for the openings.

Thanks guys. .....and by the way, I am not trying to get a fude going here. this is just for my own personal knowledge.

Live today as tomorrow may not come

I've never had a problem with my xaos but I've heard of them doing bad things. Mine is a 125 so maybee extra square footage helps with stuff like that -i dunno. Were the xaos's that you've seen collapse during a recovery arc production models or early prototypes, super high wind?

I don't think i'd buy a VX for 2 reasons:

1 inconsistent openings, sometimes hard
2 tail flutter on recovery arc when loaded up high

You can't really go wrong with a velocity -they are totally rock solid. I like my xaos better, not as ground hungry and less twitchy from the deployment on.
HEY GROUND ZERO-How's about a 108 or bigger XAOS-27 cell demo, got one yet?

I've seen a 74 @ 2.3 and a 69@ 2.4 and a 68@ 2.6 do it-

I'm not talking about brake lines being too short and bucking the canopy I'm talking flutter between the c-lines and the trailing edge

I would load your 60 @ 4.25 or so, sounds fun don't it?!

Icarus had no plans of making me happy by having a VX demo that I can jump so I'll probably never buy one of their canopies, I'd love to get a deal on a big (114-116) VX and have the X-VX mod done by precsion though.

You could probably demo an icarus at some of the bigger boogie's. They had a demo stand at nationals this year and I talked to the rep, he said he was touring boogies with demo's.
What is the x-vx mod?

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I thought that was what you were talking about. That is a real expensive way to buy a canopy, the Hma conversion isn't cheap, and the jury is still out on the HMA line. I know a PD factory pilot that had the HMA and changed back to Vectran. But I think the reason was that HMA doesnt like cascades and the super thin lineset he was using had to be changed about every 100 jumps. Unless your competing hardcore I dont think it is worth the money. Ever ask anyone from Icarus why they dont use HMA? I would like to know what they say.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Seems like a Velocity might be right for you. I've only got a few jumps on an Xaos, but the openings on my velocity 90 are very comparable to the openings I got on a Xaos 95 (nice, slow, and soft, what more could you ask for! ;) The velocity is more ground hungry than the Xaos, but with rear risers, I have no problem making it back from a long spot. I found front riser pressure to be about the same on both canopies (maybe a little more on the velocity).\
I'd recommend demoing both of the models, both companies have excellent demo programs.
my .02 cents

Lance

the biggest VX demo in existence is an 89 -it tours the major boogies with all of the other icarus demos (that's what they told me today anyway)

I think someone out there has to have a used VX with worn out lines in the size range that I'm looking for -if I get too impatient I'll just get a xaos-27...eventually.

I want to see what's up with the A-max from aeordyne and the atair onyx as well.

I have a little under 2,000 jumps under FXs and VXs, about 150 jumps under a Velocity, and no Xaos jumps.
I load my VX 70 at 2 to 1 without weights, but when I train 4 way, I load it at 2.35 to 1. As far as turbulence goes - I jump in TX and the winds here suck - 25-30MPH is a normal winter day, and bad turbulence in the summer because it's so hot. I'm always one of a select few idiots who jump in these conditions, mostly because the VX and the FX are ROCK SOLID in winds - even the stupid ones that you shouldn't be jumping in! As far as the openings, I get consistent openings under my VX. They aren't "slow", but I wouldn't call them hard or brisk - I like to think of them as motivated!! ;) The absolute best way I have found to pack it is to separate the lines just enough to make it neat, leave the nose OUT - I just let it hang there - quarter the slider and roll the tail VERY snugly. I used to do all the bells and whistles pack job because I thought I had to - you know - push nose in all sorts of different ways, make a pocket with the slider, etc etc. I got off headings a lot with all that garbage, and if anything, it opened a little faster. With the 5 minute pack job, it's a consistent, NOT SLOW - but never TOO fast - opening. I also jump a camera, and I have never experienced an opening under my VX that has slammed me, hurt me, or injured my neck, even with the camera.

However, it's all pretty much what you're used to! Many of my Velocity jumps came after I already had several hundred jumps under FXs and VXs, and those openings scared me! They just took a lot more time to open than what I was used to, and tended to "hunt" around with only a couple middle cells open. I'm not one that likes to hang around at 2000' waiting 800-1000 feet for my canopy to open! :o

I've heard from good friends and good sources that the Xaos is the best opener - meaning slowest of them all. Since I like the openings I'm getting, I've never been interested to start jumping any other models when I love the characteristics of what I've got.

that's my 10 cents my 2 cents is free . . .

peace -
Mariann

Don't forget that the Stilleto came out after about a year after the introduction of the Jonathan. When I had my New Jonathan ordered I talked to LeBlanc at the WFFC. He told me I was nuts for going with an eliptical. They had been trying to come up with an eliptical and they "just don't work"

c-ya:ph34r:

I fly a Xaos 21 and love the way it handles in winds and gusts. In my humble opinion, it's the best opening canopy in it's class. My experience with the Velocity is limited, but it to was a good opener and
handling was good. "More ground hungry than the Xaos?" I thought the difference was minimal. The one complaint about the Velocity was the higher front riser pressure needed compared to the Xaos.
Overall I think the Xaos is a bit more balanced in performance. It really takes years for a new canopy to reveal it's true nature.
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

I've never had a problem with my xaos but I've heard of them doing bad things. Mine is a 125 so maybee extra square footage helps with stuff like that -i dunno. Were the xaos's that you've seen collapse during a recovery arc production models or early prototypes, super high wind?

My Xaos 21 85' was one of the first production models made. It still had Dyneema (Mini-Spectra)lines untill recent hma reline. I have flown this canopy in 30mph turbulant wind with no problem loading @ 2.3/1. The openings are much nicer than the Velocity's I demo'd. The riser pressure is also lighter. I liked the Velocity demos and the openings were usually just scary to watch. The end cells would often touch bow tying in the middle.

The PD guys were using HMA lines much smaller than the Xaos and this is why the lines didn't last over 100 jumps.