iam

Swoop Speeds....

This may be like asking "how long is a piece of string", but what speeds do the top swoopers achieve when landing.

Cheers

Ian
"Don't ever knock on deaths door, just ring the bell and run away - it really pisses him off"

well at WFFC in the speed round or competition, jeff mullins got 65 mph, and won.

i'm sure that the speeds are more on average of like 55 or 60.

later

That comp was held into the wind the day Jeff won with that speed. The day before Jeff hit 75 I think. Mike Jazz was right there with him. I think I just edged out Andy Anderson that evening for third. I did three swoops with the gun that day and hit 65,67,66. Pretty consistent although I was setting up way back from the gun and swooping the entire pond. Most jumpers were trying to set up close to the radar to just make the gates for a max. reading. This could allow a higher recorded speed as the gates were pretty high and you could enter them with vertical speed. If you were swooping the pond he recorded your max speed as soon you were leveled off. I think Jeff was wearing at least 35 pounds of weight at one point. He looked pregnant!
Hope this helps
Josh
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Now this is a competition I would like but unfortunately I have never been around a radar gun to offer numbers. I have considered buying one but haven't quite convinced myself to spend the money on it. I can only say it would be awesome if somebody could show up at Skydive Dallas with one. For a long time I have wondered at what speed I do come in at.

Psycho Bruno out
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Now this is a competition I would like but unfortunately I have never been around a radar gun to offer numbers. I have considered buying one but haven't quite convinced myself to spend the money on it. I can only say it would be awesome if somebody could show up at Skydive Dallas with one. For a long time I have wondered at what speed I do come in at.

Psycho Bruno out

You are loading your canopy the same as hooknswoop so I'm sure it's in the same ballpark as his numbers. Then again I'm sure he is much faster now since he has ~600 jumps on the canopy and that zapping was done when he had something like 10. Also the fact we now live in CO I'm sure makes a huge difference.
Fly it like you stole it!

In first ever finnish swoop competition, Kujo was clocked at 97 Km/h and few others at 90 km/h range. Kujo is jumping smallish VX, don't know the exact size / wingloading. There is a article about the competition at :
http://www.dropzone.com/news/RedBullSwoop8211masterso.shtml
http://www.ufufreefly.com