garywainwright

Xaos on opening

I think you did the right thing. Make a decision and act.

It's hard to tell from the video what was happening beyond the obvious spinning canopy for 10 seconds. It looked to me that the canopy was about to stabilize and stop spinning when you cut away.

I've spun up my Samurai once or twice from bad body position. In my experience, as long as a brake is not released, I eventually found myself under a fully inflated canopy w/ 6 or 7 line twists. It was very unsettling to watch happen. The canopy wasn't spinning further, so I checked altitude and kicked out.:|

My decision was based on an aesthetic feel. I don't know how a Xaos opening feels. You know the canopy and I think you made the right decision.

Ken

"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

the canopy has now been grounded! I'm gutted! Thanks for replying anyway. Stiletto 135, Xaos 108

Well that can't be permanent... I'd suggest working down the line... like borrowing / demoing a Xaos 135, then a 120, then after you feel comfortable with openings on those, go on to the 108

blue skies, soft grass =]

Chris

Looking at the video frame by frame it looks like the 4 way tracks off , You reach for your pilot chute and roll slightly to your right then pitch it and roll quickly to the left , The lines on the left side go tight first and then the right . I encountered the same problem earlier this year and have since corrected it.

Hi Gary,
Just a note. I'm jumping an 84'Xaos @2.2+/1 out of trim. This past weekend I had 2 openings like that an found that I had unintensionally released the left brake line on my riser trying to 'fly' the opening! Another thin my packer showed me was pulling the center cell out and pushing the slider back more to the tail so that the nose inflates before the end cells. I was able to kick out of both!
Good luck,
C 1062B|

I've jumped a Xaos 21 (93) for the last year with about 250 jumps on it. It the best opening canopy I've owned. More on heading than my Viper120, or Vengenances120"s (2). Only couple of firm openings, no slammers. Easy to fly on heading during the snivel using the rear risers.Straight pro pack it, roll the nose each side in 1 turn, center cell open, quarter the slider pulled out 2" in front of center cell. I use superbands on sides of bag & 3 locking stows, tough to put on but OK. Only cutaway was due to HMA line grabing tabbed slider kill line and hanging it up. Packing method seams to have little effect on openings. Coould just be an odd canopy. I've had 2 Vengenances. One never opened worth a shit (sniveled nice then turned like a bitch. The other nice as can be. Talk tp Precision.

Hey Gary,
FYI, I am sending my Xaos 84 back for a reline today. Mine was the first production Xaos out. It has dynema (mini-spectra) lines and obviouslly out of trim after well over 500 jumps on it per Chris Martin@ Precision. Over the weekend, I put 16 jumps on a newish 80' with the HMA lines on it and the squirrelly openings I was getting on the 84 disappeared! The 80' opened like a dream on heading and soft
but firm. Just my .02. Can't wait to get this one back next Friday. I'll let you know.
Blue ones,
Conway
C 1079B|

Thought you all may be interested to know that after test jumping my canopy Precision have offered me a new one because of a tendancy to turn right on opening. They have been very helpful with this problem. Thanks to PA and thanks to all who posted!
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

but remember, too much bite in a stow leaves enough loop to loop around another stow, potentially causing a bag lock.

Try as hard as you can to make that happen. It doesn't happen.
======

Sorry to hear your canopy is grounded. The most difficult thing to do on deployment is Nothing. Try not to make any corrections, or harness shifts or turns with the risers. Just stay neutral untill it inflates.

Many people will be surprised at how much Better their own canopy opens.

Nice vid.

C-ya
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Precision have replaced my canopy - as per previous post. When the tested it it was opening off to the right everytime - they'vr been fantastic sorting this out for me!

Excellent... (sorry I missed that post) Happy to hear it's been sorted out. C-ya
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Precision have replaced my canopy - as per previous post. When the tested it it was opening off to the right everytime - they'vr been fantastic sorting this out for me!

Contact the mfgr. They will most likely have you send the canopy back for evaluation. If it is defective, they will probably offer you a replacement.

They did.

Hook

Just going back through some old stuff.

I had this EXACT thing happening to me with my Xaos 98 loaded at ~2.0.

I had put about 150 jumps or so on it without any problems. Then I started getting the openings that were exactly like the video. Opened up straight & on heading, then wham.. turns right and dives so fast that it puts slack in the lines and it would actually trow me into a roll in the opposite direction. I got the the point where I'd be trying to counter it using A LOT of the opposit rear riser, but it would still take off. Anyhow, I found that my left leg strap was slipping, so I stopped that (which helped but did not eliminate the issue). The lines were getting old, so I had precision reline it and problem gone.. Back to sweet soft on heading openings..

funny video though, I've got one that looks exactly like it..B| I was having lots of problems, but only one chop from it..

My Xaos 27-83 did it to me too but it was from the way I packed it. The right side got full inflation before the left and before I could chase it, multiple line twists! All I had to do was even up the risers and it was gone. When packing Xaos's I found the most consistant soft on heading openings are with the center cell pulled a couple of inches past the slider and feathering the other cells back into the pack job a little.:)