rmcvey

cobalt deployment speeds

OK, so i got flamed of some guy the other day who was watching on telemeters because i waved off from a stand, onto belly quick track and dumped without what he considered "slowing down properly"

So i explained about the canopy and how the ribs 3 cells from the middle dont have crossports.....blah blah blah tested while headdown etc. and just got a kinda bemused look as he obviously had never heard of atair canopies or two stage openings etc. and then I realised i dont actually have a full understanding behind the physics behind the design and how it can cope with faster speeds.

I understand how the cross port design and slider sizing gives (in theory;)) two stage openings but in what ways does the canopy differ structuraly to other brand canopies?

Is there anything other than the 2stage that allows for this faster deployment speed?

Or does the two stage openings prevent the forces involved in fast deployments being transmitted to the canopy in the way it would with other types.

hhhmm confused myself even more now.

Evidently you must've confused everybody else too judging from the lack of a single response from your post in October!... As I understand it you can dump without slowing down as much (as with a "traditional" canopy) with the Cobalt because the first thing to inflate and actually begin to fly is the center 3 cells. By that time, you've decelerated greatly without being hammered by an opening pop, (cause it's only 3 cells). Then in an almost robotic fashion, the remaining 3 cells on each side unroll and inflate because of the crossporting between them. That's why they refer to it as a "two stage" deployment. Largely developed for feeflyers who may not decelerate well enough prior to deployment... I had a Cobalt demo enroute when I got injured last year, and had to postpone it, but I've read just about everything written about the Cobalt, and it's the only canopy that I'm interested in having.... even not having flown one. That's how convinced I am of their design superiority

even not having flown one. That's how convinced I am of their design superiority

Have fun, then. Not everyone had a good experience with a Colbalt. PM me if you'd like me to tell you, or do a search, I've talked about it on more then one occasion.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

the only complaints ever seen have been from our 170's. initially they were designed to open a little faster as they were predominately being placed with newbies. after the last posted thread on the 170 and with the great success of our comp 350 tandem i began work on a comp model cobalt 170. just finished the patterns and they will be available soon. also patterned is a 220 (predominately for military, but they will double as a brilliant student canopy).

sincerely,

dan<><>

ps. complete explaination of the 2 stage openings are available on our web site www.extremefly.com
if you have any questions beyond that give a call and i will be glad to discuss. office # 718-923-1709
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

And the 105's. I believe Chuck's quote was "Every bitch in the field seems to be a 105." I bought one and sold it without jumping it because of the reported hard openings. Sure enough, the girl that bought it from me reported "brisk" openings. A friend here has a 105 that has rocked him a few times too.

Canuck

I sent a 135 demo back after 5 jumps since it was totally rocking my world. I took it on a night jump since I did'nt have time to hook my other canopy up and I saw more stars at opening then I did any time else that night.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I had a demo 105 that was awesome on openings....I guess every canopy is gonna be a tad different. On my 120 I have never been slammed. In fact I pack it loose as possible to open it quicker. I have not dumped at terminal...nor intend to. But I have dumped directly from a track and from a sit.

Dan what is the difference between the comp Cobalt and the regular as far as openings? What about flight differences?
Obviously the Comp model has lighter riser pressure, dives easier, longer recovery arc.
JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

I have just jumped a Cobalt 120 - brand new bar the 7 jumps the actual owner stuck on it. Lovely canopy to fly around, stays up for ages and hookx in nicely on fron t risers. Opening was 2 stage and reasonably soft.

Before that I tried the demo 120 Atair sent him while he was waiting for his new one. It opened like a firecracker - 2 stage but still a slammer.

The difference was the pilot chute - chopped it down from 28 inches to 22 inches, rolled the tail tight and openings are now sorted.

a couple remarks can sometimes get blown out of proportion. out of our entire production i can count the total amount of cobalts with complaints of brisk openings on one hand. and stock response is "send back the canopy and it will be repaired or replaced".

the cobalt design is quantitatively proven to be the softest opening and highest speed deployable ram air canopy ever created with almost 500 datalogged jumps. it has also set records for the highest glide ratio, highest wingload to produce positive lift, smallest 9 cell, highest speed ram air deployment and a few speed records at the 4.5# wing loading. in fact we are now under contract to develop cobalts for the us army.

when i first started jumping i flew a popular begineers canopy. it snaped me so hard every time i had constant bruises on my legs and shoulders and even fractured my neck. the canopy company would do nothing to resolve the issue even though i purchased the canopy new from them. atair is a different animal i can assure you.

comp cobalt vs crossfire 2: the comp cobalt is more efficient it generates more lift and it will continue to fly at slower speeds than the crossfire. at equal wing loadings speed is about the same but the cc can be loaded much heavier than the crossfire without loosing efficiency. at the pro level the cc will out swoop the crossfire. a cc was ranked 2nd place in speed and distance after last years para-performance tour. in a snap turn the recovery arc is shorter on the cc, but as the wingtips are so low drag best swoop performance is obtained with a slow initiated carve.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)