rmcvey

cobalt wingloading?

the difference you discussed could be due to the number of jumps on the canopy. cobalts are 'broken in' over the first 40-100 jumps, this is where the spectra lines change dimensions and go into >better< trim. so if you jump a canopy with a few hundred jumps vs a brand new one you will notice a suptle diference and probably prefer the older one.

i can tell you the difference is definately not due to 'hand construction' and not using a laser cutter. i will put money on the fact that we hold the highest tollerences in the industry. (btw we purchased a laser cutter beginning of this season, pd is the only other parachute co. we know of that owns a laser cutter. precision, icarus, aerodyne, strong, simula, bigair, paraflite, pioneer, etc all use hot knife.)

as far as the h-mod at 1.6 i think it will be noticable enough to justify the cost. best bet is to speak with howard and ask for names of some people jumping his mod at that wing loading. querry them and then make a decision.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Dan wrote : "i will put money on the fact that we hold the highest tollerences in the industry. (btw we purchased a laser cutter beginning of this season, pd is the only other parachute co. we know of that owns a laser cutter. precision, icarus, aerodyne, strong, simula, bigair, paraflite, pioneer, etc all use hot knife.) "
---------------------------

Don't know about your cutting tolerances but icarus says in their website :
"At Icarus, we computer cut 100% of our canopies with a CAD/CAM (computer aided design/computer aided manufacture) system."
and
"The computer cutter - marks, labels, then cuts and seals each panel at a tolerance of +/-0.2mm, as well as calculating and generating line lengths."
(http://www.icaruscanopies.com/techno.htm)

That souds pretty good tolerance to me.
http://www.ufufreefly.com

icarus uses a stepper motor driven hot-knife plotter. we use a co2 laser plotter to cut templates and then trace a hot knife around by hand. tollerence of both methods is equal. but as chuck pointed out finished tollerence is all that counts and i believe most jumpers would be blown away (or scared) at just how very difficult it is to maintain high tollerences through the sewing process. yes match marks must be sewn accurately, but sewing tension accounts for a greater induced error. also remember with each rib sewn, errors become cumulative spanwise. forget about milimeters or fraction of a milimeters, most parachute companies have dificulty keeping a spanwise nose tape or tail tape tollerence within several centimeters !!!

the use of a cnc plotter: laser or hot knife type by any parachute company was never to increase tollerence. they do reduce labor when cutting fabric but not enough to justify their cost. i.e. on an elliptical 150 it takes approximately 25 hours to construct, only 4 of those hours are hand template cutting. the reason for their use is to elliminate the time spent manufacturing templates. i.e. the templates for our onyx took me a little over 100 hours to complete. now multiply that by 9 sizes to scale it into and you can see how severly time consuming it is for a company to generate a new canopy design without a cnc plotter.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>

Speaking of the Onyx Is it going to be a direct compeptitor to the VX/FX and Volocity? What sizes are you planning on making them in? Also what are the longest swoops you have recorded on it? Also the photographer in me wants to know if you have any pictures that aren't on the website. :)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

yes the onyx will fall into the class of the velocity/vx... i am not ready to release it as we have been putting all our effort into our military projects this year.

on the competition cobalt (non cord x-braced, 9 cell) competition swoops average 280' - 340'. the airfoil on the onyx is higher lift than the vx and velocity, which means it is slightly slower at equal loadings. i have resisted the urge to design the onyx with a faster airfoil as i think it will just increase the possibility of injury. i.e. the velocity: it is a great design competition canopy, but extremely fast and unforgiving resulting in more deaths than i care to count.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>

The cobalt Is The softest,smothest,strongest canopy made i jumped icrus,pd,ar,pr, and cobalt smokes them all as for wing load i went from169safire to 120 cobalt it was easier to land even in deep brakes lets see the rest land in deep brakes and not shatter your pelvis on my 120 im at 1.8 wing load its that good demo 120 after you got 500js on your 135 and get comfortable with it before you doun size B|B|that way you will have more fun:)