rgoper

The New Atair/Cobalt Review

hey fellow divers:

i flew my new Cobalt for the first time yesterday, and i thought i'd post the results.

first jump: hop-n-pop from 5K nice opening, end cell closure on left side, tried to clear with rear risers, had to get into deep flare, no problem. the canopy is responsive, light front riser pressure, and immediate response! turns and sashays are really quick, canopy reacts quickly, and precisely to toggle input, nice 50-60 foot surfs, good flaring power.

second jump: from altitude, did a solo belly-to-earth, deployed at 2500K SSS at around 1850, again end cell closure left side, cleared with deep flare, double stage opening is butter soft! turns and sashays are great, again coming in for final, 60-70 foot surf (got chewed out for this one, came in too hot cross wind..oh well)

third jump: same dive, deployed at 3000K SSS at 2400, again end cell closure on left side only, cleared with deep flare, tried my best to "bowtie" the canopy, nothing doing. excellent turns, great response from toggle input, soft, on heading double stage opening. 70-80 foot surf, great front riser reaction, it's scary fast responsive!

all in all, this is a great canopy, it's a Cobalt 170, x-braced nose. i'm loading it at 1.5 which is no stretch for the canopy. i would reccomend anyone who is looking for a "advanced canopy" to look into this line of mains. the service was good, and the canopy is awesome. i love the custom colors, and the red "double diamonds" are hard to beat!
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

i will have some next weekend, my wife took some yesterday, but she's afraid to get on the landing area, and it's a digital camera so the images are miniscule. bear with me. take care...
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

....x-braced nose....

Is that a competition cobalt then? or a non-atair H-mod? or do I not understand?

I have a (standard) Cobalt too, and agree it's a great canopy. It does have end-cell closure more often than I would like, though, which can occur on either side, presumably due to slight changes in body position. This usually results in a turn (never a spin so far) until the closure is (easily) cleared. Not sure I'd want to jump Cobalt without easy access to the risers e.g. wearing a wing-suit.

Otherwise, as I say, a great canopy.

Geoff

I have a (standard) Cobalt too, and agree it's a great canopy. It does have end-cell closure more often than I would like

Are you opening in a track? I just got my Cobalt too and the first 2 jumps I had both end cells closed and had to flare deep with toggles to clear them both times I deployed on my belly. The rest of the weekend I deployed in a track and the openings were much better. I only had ends cell closure maybe a 1/4 of the time and the openings were softer deploying from a track also

This usually results in a turn (never a spin so far) until the closure is (easily) cleared. Not sure I'd want to jump Cobalt without easy access to the risers e.g. wearing a wing-suit.

Geoff

I have now about 10 wingsuit-jumps with my Cobalt 95 loaded at about 1.6 - I was a bit worried when I transitioned to Cobalt after jumping with my friend's Sabre for the first couple of jumps with the suit.

So far I have had nothing but beautifull openings - never had an end-cell closure and always precisely on-heading - I could say that the opening with the suit are even better than without when I have an occasional end-cell closure on one side or the slider remains up for a few seconds and I have to perform a deep flare or pull the rear risers to get it down. So I would not worry about wingsuit-jumps if you are current with your Cobalt and know how to harness-steer it (or actually know how to *not* steer it by shifting your weight evenly when un-zipping the booties).

-Kari

btw. the 170 cobalt does not have the braced nose.

currently only comp cobalt models do in sizes 120 and below and our 350 tandem.

it is a goal to offer the comp nose on larger canopies for next year.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

it is a goal to offer the comp nose on larger canopies for next year.

Dan,

Will this be available as a modification to existing canopies, or is it a completely different canopy?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

it will not be offered as a retrofit because of the work involved in modifying the bottom skin.

the H(oward)-Mod which is similar is available as a retrofit from several riggers in the states (i.e. howard adams). i do not have the references on hand but i am sure that chuck blue can point you to the right place.

sincerely,

dan <><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)