freebird

End cells closed

Should you land a canopy with the end cells closed?
(You have pumped and pumped and still the slider is not all the way down but you can steer the canopy). Is it ok to land like this? I had my end cells close up for a while as I was pumping I was getting far away from the DZ. FINALLY they opened and the slider came down and I made it back to the DZ right at 1000'.

If the canopy is controllable, steerable and landable... why get rid of it? If it fails the controlablity test.... its gone.

To open end cells its better to do long smooth toggle motions then a frantic toggle pumping. If you hold the canopy in deep brakes just above the stall for a few seconds the end cells should open. If not look for the cause... tension knots, etc.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

All you need to do is keep your lines straight and tight when you pack to avoid knots. No slack in the lines and when you set the canopy down after flaking everything "set it down carefully and away from your rig" keeping the lines tight.

Rhino

as phree pointed out don't pump your toggles, instead a slow flare works far better.

if you are very lightly loaded, many canopy designs will be prone to end cell closure. i noticed you posted "and the slider finaly came down". if the slider was simply just out of reach above your risers consider it down. if it was farther back up the lines, your issue is not end cell closure. a prolonged snivel with a partialy down slider can be remedied on many canopy designs by carefully leaning on your rear risers.

anyway if is is square, stearable, slider is down and it is stable, end cells open or closed fly it and land it.

sincerely,

dan<><>
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Im not sure now that you mention it. Mabe it was a prolonged snivel........If so I need to make sure I leave more slider out when packing.The slider was not making that horrible flapping noise until the ends opened. What do you mean by leaning on the rear risers? Can you elaborate......?:)The Sabre 2 is designed to open a bit slower then the orginal sabre. What can I do in packing to have it open a little faster? Without yacking myself?:)

by leaning i mean slightly pulling. as far as making it open faster >dont<. be thankful your sabre snivels, get used to it and enjoy. your spine will thank you.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

[The Sabre 2 is designed to open a bit slower then the orginal sabre. What can I do in packing to have it open a little faster? Without yacking myself?:)

Oh please don't, a lot of work in design has been put into this modern canopy so that it will open just that way. Its the future fly with it baby.

Im a girl ;)and sometimes I do like to be spanked :Pbut in this case my Sabre 2 is designed to open slower and I never roll the nose. There is no need to with the Sabre 2.....I still get a slow opening...my last jump Im not sure if it was end cells closed or a prolonged snivel:)

No expert here, but curious to know what loading your jumping this canopy at? I occasionally jump a 210 loaded at .75!!:o:o On almost every opening I have to work my butt off to get the end cells to open. After that I have a nice loooooooooooong canopy ride!!!!!:D

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

I have an Omega and she snivels a lot too... When I first got it, it freaked me out a bit to the point that I was asking the same advice as you, how to make it open faster. There were a few suggestions such as flaking the nose (as in a flat pack) 3 cells to the left, middle straight out, and the to the right (7 cell). You could try 4 one and 4. or pulling the slider out past the nose. What worked best for me was to not push the nose into the canopy but instead just leave it there and roll the tail (Thanks Billv BTW). My best suggestion is to experiment with it a little and find what works best for you.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

as I was pumping I was getting far away from the DZ.

This statement caught my eye...just a thought, but once the canopy is open and I've done controllability checks, I turn towards the DZ. That way you don't end up further & further away from home while you work on an end cell problem.

Blues,
Karen

When I land "where I stand" I set my breaks, unstow my slider and I'm ready to pack.

Be careful when you are stowing your brakes, that your "landing area" isn't being needed by someone else. Wouldn't it be prudent, and just plain considerate to move off to the side of the landing area BEFORE stowing brakes? (Some landing areas are used by many canopy pilots at one time, including tandem pilots who land later)...Just something to think about.
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

The landing area can also be a dangerous place to be. I've seen a coupple of collisions and near misses. Watch out for people comming in, keep your helmet on and get out of there. If it's a tight area you can also risk having somebody landing on your canopy. Not funny to get it ripped after your safely down.
Just my $0.02 about landing area do's and don'ts...

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

just my .02...

But if I am on the ground, after just landing, and some A-hole wants to come land ON my chute or me for that matter, he's gonna have some 'splanin to do. Not always, but usually the guy below has the right of way. If I am there stowing my stuff, chances are there is WAY enough time for him/her to change their landing pattern and avoid me.

I too stow my stuff on the ground, and have not had any problems or complaints from other jumpers for "getting in their way". Of course, if I land in the middle of a 10' peas, then of course, I will oblige and move out of the way before stowing.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Not all DZ's have lots of room to land depending on the winds. One DZ I jumpat you have to land between the runway and taxiways. Its a really long.. but narrow LZ. If a King Air load jumps... there is some times little room to land if you are last out and have to land with all the RW'ers on the ground stowing their stuff. I've surfed a few canopies before (a few times for fun and a few others since that was it to land on unless tarmac).

The problem is when an entire group decides to converge in the middle of the LZ to debrief with their gear all still graggin on the ground... thats a big obstical to try and miss in a small LZ... And some will continue to stand in the Peas untill everyone is down and prevents anyone else from landing there.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com