Pasha

Canopy collapse

Pretty dang broad question. I had a crossfire 119 collapse on me at a wing loading of 1.6.

Was your Crossfire on the modification list, and if so, was it re-trimmed? Thanks!

BTW, glad to see some humor from you considering the injuries you've sustained. I can't say that I know what you are going through right now as I've never been seriously injured. Best wishes to you and those helping you too!

Can a canopy( Lets say a Sabre 2 loaded at .9)
collapse if heat from the ground on a hot day is causing turbulance under the canopy? Assuming a light almost no wind day in a humid region, lets say Texas.......My canopy was getting alot of turbalance last week.although the wind was only 5-10mph the turbalance was about at 3000 to 1000 feet and then the turbalance stoped at about 800ft....Im sure it was heat rising from the ground it was very humid.

Thermals can be wicked depending on the heat and conditions (Plowed fields are the worst...), but the turbulence to collapse a canopy depends on the position of the canopy from what I understand it to be. If the canopy is closer to the stall point , ie hanging in brakes, rear risers, its easier to make the canopy collapse. Also in any time you unload the weight from any portion of the canopy you are setting your self up for an easier time to fold the canopy up. in full flight... I'd say if the thermals are bad enough to collapse a canopy at 1500 feet or higher.. the plane would have issues flying level.... (just a guess)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Saturday at SD Texas I had a partial canopy collapse then reinflated quickly. I flew through a dust devil. One of the guys that was behind me had a full collapse and fell for a little bit then his canopy reinflated long enough for him to land. Needless to say I was feeling pretty nervous. I didnt notice the dust devil till I was in it. Always keep an eye out for swirling dust and debris and avoid landing anywhere near them.

Yes it was on the second bulliten list and it was retrimmed. I bought it as a demo from icarus after it was retrimmed. As a side question: does anyone know (as in know, not guess) where the two factories that made the crossfire were? The bulletin say that one set of crossfires (the ones not needing the retrim) were made in Europe and the others were made in the US. It begs the question: where?
Drewfus McDoofus

>Also in any time you unload the weight from any portion of the
> canopy you are setting your self up for an easier time to fold the
> canopy up.

That's quite hard to do unless you are getting creative (i.e. hard turn, full flare then back to full flight very quickly.) The rigging on a canopy does a pretty good job of distributing your weight evenly to the wing, although there is significant variation from canopy to canopy.

>I'd say if the thermals are bad enough to collapse a canopy at 1500
> feet or higher.. the plane would have issues flying level.... (just a
> guess)

At Perris we have dust devils (really thermals with circulation) that can easily collapse a canopy at 1500 feet. They are indeed an issue for planes taking off; a few otters have aborted takeoffs to avoid a dust devil crossing the runway. However, encountered at 1500 feet they are less of a worry (the plane has more airspeed/altitude margin) and they are rarely noticeable at 12,000 feet.

Pasha, canopies are inflated because they are pressurized from air ramming into the nose air inlets. More speed increases the pressure until an equilibrium is reached and a stagnation point forms outside the nose. If you radically change the attitude of the wing, the stagnation point will move up or down and create a venturi effect that will suck air out of the parachute, thereby reducing the pressurization. Flying slower will also reduce pressurization. Anything that will reduce pressurization in your canopy has the potential to cause it to collapse. Turbulence can do this. Flying in brakes can do this. Here is a link to a very good article that covers this topic and much more, it may be too technical but if you skip the number crunching and follow the text, it will give you some valuable insights as to how and why are parachutes fly. I hope this helps and isn't too confusing.
http://www.afn.org/skydive/sta/highperf.pdf
alan