skyodissey

carving the swoop

hi everybody:)Does anybody know how much it is possible to carve during the surf? I've seen in my dropzone some people doing 90° turn during the swoop but i'd like to know what's the top amount of degrees that a pilot can put into a turn during the surf and what is the best method to do that:toggle turns,rear riser turns or shifting the weight in the harness

the harness shift is what I feel works best for me. it keeps the speed rather than using it with the toggles/ rear risers. I can only get about 90 degrees, but I have seen people do 180s on the ground...pretty amazing, but nothing I would attempt yet. little too much of pushing the envalope that close to the ground:)......I have also seen 180s by a certain skygod777 when he wasnt meaning to do it:) he was ok...and made for geat video:D
yoshi

I can only get about 90 degrees, but I have seen people do 180s on the ground...pretty amazing, but nothing I would attempt yet. little too much of pushing the envalope that close to the ground

whoda thunk it? your giving advice now? man-o-man, i'm at a loss for words. and that's a rare occasion.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Yes, back in the day, Rixter Powell, Jack Jeffries and those guys were doing "360 circle of deaths". That all started when we were jumping Excalliburs. Nowadays, I don't see anyone throwing anything bigger than a 180.

Anyway, when I throw a carve, I fly myself in a front riser nearly into the ground and then flare when I am still in the turn. The pendulum effect keeps you spinning around and you stab the opposite toggle when you know you are about to run out of juice. It's not really that tough to get your end cell VERY close to the ground and still get the main back over your head, but you can seriously biff on entry if you are not on your game. You can start learning the landingn carve with a straight-in swoop, but you will not get nearly as far around. On those, once you get your main "around the corner", simply stab a left or right toggle for a bit, then flare with both toggles once you are out beside your main. To stick it, simply stab the other toggle for a bit, then complete your flare.

Chuck

I've never tried 180 or 360 carves but I do a double 90 a lot now. I'll hook hard left and hold the left front riser a little longer than usual to enter my plane-out already banked. From there I throw a lot of body english into the saddle and finess the toggle for a bit more input. With good speed remaining I'll bank hard right to get a second 90 degree turn in (usually finishing into the wind because I'm too old to run). I think the blade running guys are doing this stuff in a much bigger way and using more controls.

The original poster did not ask how to do anything. He asked what was the farthest around anyone was doing carving surfs. As far as teaching people how to do "deadly" things, that is what this forum is designed to prevent. Armed with the proper information, a skydiver has a much easier time learning new techniques. We all know that skydiving is dangerous to start with; we also know that "hook turns" kill. That being said, the best way to prevent injuries is a good education and common sense. This forum is a good place to get some of that education; I can't help with the common sense.

Chuck Blue

Dear Freeflyz
I'm not going to try any HP maneuvers.I don't have any experience of swooping,HP canopies,hook turns and all this kind of stuff. Nor I'm in a hurry to try,I think I have at least the next four or five hundreds of jumps to improve my canopy skills before even thinking about learning any sort of high speed (and high risk) canopy technique.I'm just a skydiving enthusiast and I often ask people only to satisfy my curiosity even on topics that don't regards what I'll do in my skydives,sometimes I ask people just to increase my knowledge on the sport.So, since this is a forum where people post questions and get answers,that is just what I did and what the kind persons who answered my question did.If my question was in some way deceptive I apologize, and I hope that anyone (having information on the topic I posted) won't avoid posting in this thread for the same reasons that made you wondering about me.Anyway I want you to know that every day in this forum it's posted hot information (with,of course,the necessary warnings) that could put in danger the life of some fool if He doesn't interpret it in a wise way (just try to find some threads on how to use front risers on high speed approaches).It is left to common sense to make a good use of information,not only the one exposed on this forum but everywhere information can be found.Once more sorry for the misunderstanding(and for my EnglishB|,I'll improve it, I promise:)

>The original poster did not ask how to do anything.

Actually, if you read the end of his post - He DID ask what the best method for doing this was. I would consider that asking how to do it...
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."