skydive4play

"A way out"????

Setting up and doing a swoop dosen't give you exclusive clearance to take up 50 yards of landing area. You need to consider other jumpers and obstacles that might get in your way. You need to plan for secondary and even tertiary routes
of "escape" if something gets in your path. "Impromptu" swoops are foolish and can hurt you and others.
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

Also, you need to have clear space to land i any given direction you might be facing during and after your final turn, if you make one, in case you turn too low and have to dich early. For instance, if you approach south to north, and plan a 180 left turn to set up a swoop, you want to have enough room to land to the NE, E, SE, and South at the very least in case you need to flare out of the corner early. For example, yesterday, I pulled a hellacious downwinder right next to the taxiway (and hangars) and felt pretty dumb afterwards because if my turn had been mistimed my out probably would have been right into a hangar, and that ain't pretty. BAD MISSY!!! :(
I'm not the man they think I am at home, no;
I'm a rocket man.
Sky World

For example, yesterday, I pulled a hellacious downwinder right next to the taxiway (and hangars) and felt pretty dumb afterwards because if my turn had been mistimed my out probably would have been right into a hangar, and that ain't pretty. BAD MISSY!!!

Missy had previously let some of us know that he was shooting the beer-line with a cross-wind landing. His final setup could have been a bit better (it was still nice) but the DZO thought it was over because he thought Missy was going to pull a 180 onto final on a heavily loaded Vengence from 60-70 feet.
Missy, I don't think you heard me yelling "Run! Run Sea Bass, Run!!!" after you touched down and started bleeding speed, did you?:)Kris

Basically a backup way to land if something goes wrong with your intended landing pattern. Example: you are to low and need to stop your left hand front riser turn. You need to have a place to land off to your right.
William