freeflir29

Swoop Monster?

I will second the sabre2 idea. You should try one. I jump an fx, but someone had a demo Sabre2 a few weeks ago. I didn't jump it enough to get to know it well, but I think this can be a great swoop canopy in the mid range of performance.
William

I don't understand all these low experience jumpers trying to rush into surf machines. There is terrifiying trend of rapid downsizing. Speed doesn't make you better swooper, but it can get you hurt. As I have been told by several pro swoopers. Its more about technique and having your canopy dialed in. Once you have wringed every last bit of performance out of it then you should proceed. My $0.02

Read Clay's post...he wants to get a 170. We are just kind of ribbing him because I don't think that he would jump a 120 or 135 if we asked him to. Just kinda sucks that no one seems to own a 170 for long anymore, therefore there are none around. Some of us probably downsized too fast but there are usually reasons for that. In my case I had about 200 jumps and had been jumping a cobalt 150 for 110 jumps. Then my canopy sustained some damage and I decided against ordering another 150. I probably would have jumped the 150 for at least another 200 jumps but I have no problem handling the 135. Don't worry about Clay, we will not let anything bad happen to him!
michael hunt (yes, that is my real name...and i've heard them all)

SHUT UP LISA!
PS: Clay, had you started jumping a year before you did and were ready to get that canopy now, I would have had a diablo 170 for ya! And if you would have had started 2 years before, I would have had a Vector / Sabre 170 / PD193 for ya!
Aks me tomorow, I may have a Reflex / Stileto170 / Raven 181 for ya!
See, its not everyone that downsizes quickly... some other gain waight quickly instead.. its cheaper then downsizing! lol
Remster
Muff 914

"oh come on, chill a little! :-)"
Uhhh...she didn't get the "Canopy Nazi" title for nothin...LOL Love ya Lisa!!!
NO way would I jump Tim's Hanky!!! Ummm...I saw the results of AuFreefly jumping it....On video......:D I just want something that will give me more swoop for my efforts. I don't really need anymore wing loading. I surfed the shit out of my PD last weekend. Enough that when I went by a guy with over 2,000 jumps I got a "Holy Shit!" comment. I just know that it will be even better on a better designed canopy!
"It's the cans..they're defective. Stay away from the cans"-Steve Martin
Clay

"how much does a pd 190 really swoop???"
Oh yea of little faith. Ask anyone that jumps at SD Atlanta. I get level flight for 20-30 feet on almost every landing. If I have done my canopy flying well and I have clear airspace to HOOK IT!!!! I can go 60+ feet of level toe dragging surf. I'll say it once again.....If you can't swoop the shit out of a Pinto you best not try it in a Ferrari
"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay

"It's not made to swoop"
That has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have ever heard.
"Better to get something with a longer recover arc."
So with NO experience you should just go out. Grab a Saber which has a longer recovery arc which therefor is LESS FORGIVING of mistakes and go to town. You don't by chance have a lot of pins and plates attached to your bones do you?
"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay

A longer recovery arc is not more forgiving.. lol
Apparently he has experience if he has been swooping.. Read the past posts.. It is easier to judge 200 feet than 100 feet when doing a "hook turn". I fail to see how it is an ignorant statement. Maybe you are just trying to be too politically correct. I've seen people get their ASS chewed for hooking canopies with short recovery arcs by the people that actually do hook turns.. They frequently say "That isn't made to hook!!" So yeagh.. I guess coming from a person "not myself" that jumps an Extreme VX 60, loaded close to 3.0 better than God himself that would be an ignorant statement. And no.. I don't have any pins or plates. lol Neither does the guy that flies the VX60.
Blue Skies and Smooth Rides!!

I'll just leave it at this. I agree to disagree with you. I can't see how learning to swoop on a HIGHER performance canopy is safer. Maybe I just don't know what the hell I'm talkin about......:)"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay

Providing your senses aren't overloaded and you aren't scared by the responsiveness of the higher performance canopy the extra control is a good thing "In my opinion and as I've been told". I am a kenesthetic learner. Very much by feel. I love to touch the toggles or lean in the harness and feel the canopy react instantly.. Makes me feel as if I have more control, I FEEL safer and more secure under a more responsive canopy.. Maybe I'm crazy!! :) .. Better to "control" every aspect of the canopy than have the canopy control you?? So I'm told by the swoopies :) I feel the same way.. Opinions are like assholes :) Luckily we all have our own.. lol

That may be true.. But if a student is learning to hook a PD190 then the teacher should get his ass chewed. And we have top assume he is a damned good canopy pilot before he even startes to carve or hook.. Maybe if the student was put on a similar sized canopy designed with a longer recovery arc his chances of learning to hook without braking something are significantly higher. And I'm NOT saying lets start a newbie on a HP canopy loaded at 1.7. . I'm not the person to get into alot of details here but I know the concepts.. When I flew a Triathlon150 and started learning to carve. I still don't do those 180 degree snap hooks and I don't go inverted, this leaves me an out if I screw up.. "By instruction of Charlie Mullins and a couple other REALLY good pilots on how to LEARN" I started with double fronts, then a slow 90 degree carve, then to a 180 degree carve , I started to get my ass chewed because it was too risky with that shallow recovery arc and was told to move to something with a longer recovery arc. Now under the Diablo110 at 1.6 "although I am switching to a crossfire at 1.6" I have a few hundred feet recovery arc to judge distance instead of a hundred feet.. Granted I have more speed but I have more outs as well. The chances of getting in the corner are smaller if I use my head and plan ahead. Rhino