freeflir29

Swoop Monster?

Cobalt or Nitro? I just heard someone make the comment that Nitro has a high riser pressure and doesn't swoop as well as some others. I have my canopy choices narrowed to either Cobalt or Nitron. I love to swoop.....which will carry me the fartthest and impress the Chics the most :D
"It's the cans..they're defective. Stay away from the cans"-Steve Martin
Clay

The Nitro is fun and secure canopie, very good openings, flat glide angle!
The Cobalt is fun, secure, high glide angle, more fast, very good for swoop, very good for long flare, very good openings, low front risers pressure. The best canopie for swoop and flare.
roq

The Nitro and Cobalt are both GREAT canopies and have a wide range of utility. But for dedicated swooping ( it's not good for much else) may I suggest a Chaos 21? It is the bomb!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

"lets get Clay on a chaos, staright from a PD190...."
I'm not really worried about the type of canopy. I'm going to have to go through the whole learning process again anyway. I'm NOT in any hurry to significantly change my wing loading though so they have to make a fairly large canopy. (170ish)
"It's the cans..they're defective. Stay away from the cans"-Steve Martin
Clay

The xaos 21 is a tricel canopie. Tricel canopies are more rigid foil compared with normal canopies. And rigid wing = ocasional rigid opening. The tricel canopies are good for swoop and flare, but having problems relationship with ocasional hard openings.
The tricel, in my opinion, is not good for all jumps, is good only for low height jumps.
The few adicional tricel amount performance don't justify the more weight, more pack volume, more hard openings, more price and more stress.
Canopies like the cobalt can have performance similar than tricel canopie if driven by pilots with training equal than factory pilots, and good hands.
roq

Dude... go with the cobalt! Call Dan sometime this week and try to set up a demo. I jumped a nitron once, and this is what happened:
Pitched at 3000
opened in line twists with a violent dive
at 2000 the slider would not come all the way down
at 1600 the slider would not come all the way down
at 1500 I grabbed both rear risers and managed to climb the lines enough to grab the slider while nearly stalling the canopy
did not have quite the flare of a Cobalt
probably will take some convincing to jump a nitron again!
michael hunt (yes, that is my real name...and i've heard them all)

Was that Tim's on that tracking dive? If it was that explains why you weren't paying much attention after you opened. I was trying to do my "House keeping" and you ended up turning right in front of me..LOL. Luckily I was paying attention...:)"It's the cans..they're defective. Stay away from the cans"-Steve Martin
Clay

Clay,
The stiletto was like the original swoop machine, right? Square1 has six Stiletto 190s and two 170s in stock now. There is a $100 rebate and 30% off all stock canopies (until the end of the day) at Square1. Hmmmmm. Makin' me think. How 'bout you?
mike
A bucket of Jet A can heat an entire county if burned all at once.

One step at a time son. One step at a time.
You act like you're gonna be jumping it at this time next year anyway. You'll have been through two canopies by then. (I will however, follow in your tracks and take all those old used canopies off your hands.)
mike
A bucket of Jet A can heat an entire county if burned all at once.

"You act like you're gonna be jumping it at this time next year anyway."
Actually, I probably will be. I just want a canopy that I can induce to go very fast. I don't really want one that hauls ass in normal flight. Plus...I'm a cheap bastard!!! :)"It's the cans..they're defective. Stay away from the cans"-Steve Martin
Clay

Hey Clay-
You can see for yourself... you wanna jump my 120 Nitron the weekend?? No crap, I wanna jump it... you can borrow my 119 eXtreme instead. heh heh heh.
JUST kidding. I absolutely freaking hate being the voice of reason- sometimes.
First 8 jump impression on the Nitron... It may be my imagination, but, I *swear* that it out swoops my eXtreme.

well, if swooping is the thing you are looking for I recommend a PD Velocity loaded to 2.2. if everything works well it will take you the farthest and the chicks will certainly get crazy about you. if you misjudge on landing, it will be also a great event and you will attract the attention of the whole dropzone. The VE also produces nice and smooth openings. Good luck!
holger

That was because it was a Nitro and not a Nitron, had Kevlar lines instead of the HMA lines. The 120 and 150 we had there that weekend flew amazingly well and did not have those problems you found on that 135 (i put about 10 jumps on that 135 and yes that one kinda sucked) but the 120 i have now flys amazing and does not ever spin up on me, granted ive never flown a Cobalt 120 so i cant compare it, but ive talked to people that flew Nitro's (the original) before they went to cross braced and said it could swoop the shit out of anything and id have to agree after putting 60 jumps on mine. And it swoops and swoops and swoops and even in slow flight swoops some more to give you no run/skid landings, not capable on a highly loaded safire :-(
So thats a Vote for the Nitron, I have a Nitron 120 you can fly if you want Clay, ill fly the Safire 119 i have, let me know cause im gonna switch out the canopies soon.
Jonathan
--
Jonathan Bartlett
[email protected]
D-24876

Clay... you should know by now what I'm gonna say.... ;)
Demo!! Demo!! Demo!!!! And don't limit yourself to those two canopies. Jump a Cobalt, jump a Nitron, jump a Sabre2, jump a Safire, jump a Stiletto, jump every zp tapered/elliptical canopy out there, with the exception of the Velocity's/Extreme's/Xaos'... you really need some solid experience flying zp before you go to those.
Jump them all in the same sizes and decide for yourself which you prefer. That's going to tell you more about which is the right canopy for you than what even the most experienced swooper on the planet says.
Surprise ya? ;)
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

I have a Nitron 120 you can fly if you want Clay,

Don't take this the wrong way but as the Canopy Nazi I have to say it - Are you freakin' nuts??? Clay has under 200 jumps and is loading his PD190 at close to 1.3... he hasn't jumped zp enough yet to go to that kind of loading on that kind of canopy... you just might want to rethink that offer. Or do you like to watch Medivac helicopters land and take off at the dz?
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?