rendezvous

How to swoop !

Found this on the web. Is this it?
http://www.afn.org/skydive/sta/highperf.pdf

Yes it is, but the copy I have is a later reision. I'm not sure what the differences are, however. Oh, and my copy is not in Word format as I thought in an earlier post, it is in Acrobat.pdf as the link you provided is.
alan

How fast do you get under a canopy during a swoop? I mean like the fastest speed right before the corner or where ever that may occur? Also has anyone ever used a radar gun or some kind of speed indicater to verify the speed? Now I know its going to be different at different wing loadings and with different canopies but I've heard anything from 55 mph to over 100 mph. So does anyone know whats closer to right?

I have been clocked with a radar gun at the bottom of my recovery arc at over 70 mph. VX 89 @~2.4 at the time. I was still pretty inexperienced on the canopy at that time, so I'm pretty sure I could exceed that now. Plus, with a little hard work at beer time, I'm now at about 2.53. At that loading, I don't think that something around 80 mph would be out of the question.
alan

Question-
If you're going over 80 mph on a swoop at the bottom of your arc... then couldn't you theoretically(or maybe you do, I don't know the physics of a swoop very well, I'm still learning to hit a target straight in) have a descent rate of the same speed or more in a high speed diving turn? And doesn't the expert cypres fire at 78 mph? I know a cypres disarms itself under 150 feet, but what if you're playing at those speeds up higher?
Or maybe I'm not thinking straight. It's been known to happen. This just struck me as I was reading...
Marc

Question-
If you're going over 80 mph on a swoop at the bottom of your arc... then couldn't you theoretically(or maybe you do, I don't know the physics of a swoop very well, I'm still learning to hit a target straight in) have a descent rate of the same speed or more in a high speed diving turn? And doesn't the expert cypres fire at 78 mph? I know a cypres disarms itself under 150 feet, but what if you're playing at those speeds up higher?

Good question. There are two components to the speed of a canopy, horizontal and vertical. CYPRES is only concerned with the vertical component. So far, the vertical component has not been an issue, even during aggressive spiraling in the range CYPRES firing altitudes, but with the advent of the new x-braced canopies, wing loading and performance have come into the range where Airtec is taking a look at the firing algorithims. Bottom line......Yes, I believe that with some of todays canopies a skilled and experienced pilot could appoach the firing threshold, but remember, the CYPRES is designed to fire at ~750' AGL, so playing at say 2000' AGL _should_ not pose serious risk even though the rate of decent could exceed 78 mph. Most high performance canopy pilots are not screwing around anymore at 1000', they are setting up their landing approach. During the energy/speed building manuevers below this altitude, I would not be trying to have an excessive vertical component, but rather vectoring it for reasons of safety and effieciency. These canopies have a very long recovery arc and one had better be in it with enough altitude to achieve horizontal flight befire landing. I hope this answers your questions.
alan

So in a high speed swoop, your highest rate of descent will be less than your peak airspeed? Actually, come to think of it, that makes perfect sense for a carving riser turn.

remember, the CYPRES is designed to fire at ~750' AGL, so playing at say 2000' AGL _should_ not pose serious risk even though the rate of decent could exceed 78 mph

I don't have a cypres manual, but for some reason I assumed it was designed to fire if you were *below* 750 feet and descending faster than 78 mph. Is that correct or does it fire *at* 750 feet? Say, someone is on a plane that goes up above 1500, arming the cypres, then something goes wrong and the plane has dropped to 900 feet when he bails out. He should be below 78 mph when he passes through 750 feet, right? Well, maybe not, it's too late and I'm too lazy to actually do the math. But assume he gets out close enough to 750 that he doesn't hit 78 mph until 500 feet. Will the cypres fire at that point?
Maybe I should get a manual.
Marc

I don't have the manual handy, but I belive that the first or original firing altitude/speed is 750 ft and 78 mph. I seem to remember that it will fire below 750 (Don't know how fast), but that it will not fire under 150 (At this altitude it's pointless).

I don't have a cypres manual, but for some reason I assumed it was designed to fire if you were *below* 750 feet and descending faster than 78 mph.

The Cypres is designed to fire at or below 750ft if the vertical speed exceeds 78mph(115 FPS).. If you exit at 700ft, and reach 78mph at 300ft, theoretically the Cypres should fire.. The Cypres will disarm itself at 130ft, and is not supposed to fire below that altitude..
Mike

"This a good argument for buying an Astra over a Cypress!"
Care to explain that one?

My guess is that you can turn the Astra off once you are under canopy, so if you have a hp canopy and are doing hp landings where you have some doubt about an AAD fire, you can have the benefit of the AAD for the jump w/o the risk of an unwanted fire under canopy. Just a guess, not an opinion on the merit of his statement.
alan

Well...I'll put it this way...I've watched Chuck swoop his Cobalt 65 numerous times and he's never had a Cypres fire to my knowledge. I think I'm pretty safe under just about anything I will be flying for the next 10 years at least. Or maybe I'm crazy......:)"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay