cliffharris

the difference

I disagree.
Fabric may wear very slowly, but Spectra lines shrink out of trim far faster.
By 500 jumps, the steering lines will be 4 to 6 inches shorter than when they were new. This is like flying final approach with 1/4 brakes. When you start the flare with less energy, you have less energy at the end of the turf surf.
Also, outboard lines shrink far quicker than inboard lines, so the outer A lines will be 3 or 4 inches shorter than the center lines. This changes the anhedral angle of the canopy, forcing it to devote more energy to spreading the end cells, so there is less energy available for lifting straight up.
When you re-line a canopy after 500 jumps, you notice improvements in both performance and handling.

"By 500 jumps, the steering lines will be 4 to 6 inches shorter than when they were new. This is like flying final approach with 1/4 brakes."

My question is when should i replace my lines , Should i wait till 500 jumps or maybe 250-300 jumps when they would only be out of trim by half that much . I fly a cobalt 120

you need to measure the lines to accurately guage when they need replacing. I'm sure Dan would give you the specifics. Line shrinkage depends on variables so putting a specific jump number on it is difficult. but if you want to spend the $$ and re-do the lines as a preventative measure, that can't hurt either.

I jump a cobalt 120

Ladies and gentlemen, my H-mod Cobalt 75 (the orange one)has a couple of hundred jumps on it, has been in the water three times (and dried in the sun), and still flies straight. I have never seen a main with lines shrunk five inches in my life. Two or thee inches, yes, but only after real abuse (like I put on a main).
As for the original post: That 500 jump Stilleto with new lines will fly very nearly identical to a new one (and will be much easier to pack).
Chuck
My webpage HERE
  • Like 1

I asked PD about how often should lines be replaced, here is their Cust. Service Rep Kolla's answer:
"
On the Stiletto, most people find out that it's time for a reline when the canopy starts to behave a little bit odd - either on the openings, landings or in general response to toggle input.
Also, if the lines start to look worn or frayed it might be time to replace them.

On average people with 825 get anywhere from 400 to 700 jumps on their linesets - even more.
People with 550 normally get a little bit fewer jumps between each reline, anywhere from 300-600.
However, that number is quite individual, and depends on the wingloading the canopy is flown at, the environment you jump in and the general care you take of your equipment :)
"
Remi
Muff 914

So how long do you think the average, well-treated ZP will last before the porosity of the fabric will make a difference in how the canopy flies? I just bought a very used, but well taken care of, Stiletto with a fairly new line set. It has about 1000 jumps on it (150 or so on the lines), but it seems to fly fine to me.
- Dan G
  • Like 1

PD's got a Sabre in the field with 10000+ jumps on it and Atair has a canopy with a couple of 1000 jumps on it proving that the South African ZP lasts just as long if not langer with not difference then the PD. I've seen a Sabre with 1500 jumps that's gone through more owners then I can couny still fly like its new. As long as you don't drag the fabric, explose it to lots of light, and baby the canopy, the odds are the canopy will out last your time in the sport.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique
  • Like 1