freeflyguy

Wing Load -

I had a cool day of jumping yesterday. -21degrees at 13k. I think I frostbit my nose, but whatever.
Anyway. I had to jump my safire again. Because Andy stole my Xaos. Bastard.
Anyway, my point in this is this. He has a 69, and a 77 Xaos that he jumps in competition. The one he stole from me is a 100. I think that one gives him a scant wingloading of 2.2.
On one jump, he rips it in, hooks the hell out of it, pulls a carve at about 20 feet. The end cell was below his body. Then he whips it back, and lands in the peas. Whatever.
Then we had an acuracy contest, for beer. I landed in the peas , 6 feet from the center, the other dude was about the same, Andy landed, and stopped,1 foot from center, on that parachute. Accuracy is where it is at.
At the end of the day, he says "I had a blast jumping that parachute today." He just likes to skydive.
I guess my point is, high wingloading doesn't equal fun.
Also. A high wing loading can be boring in a way. I love to be hanging there in the air. On a high loaded canopy. After it is open all you do is set up to land. Sometimes it is nice to just hang out. Ahh.....
Chillin....

One day...
keep me in mind :D.
Actually , my friend is experimenting with precision, he is sending in an FX104 (he is a big goy) and he is going to have them put the HMA lines trimmed like a xaos on there and see if it improves the canopy (without the other xaos things like stabilirib etc). he has a xaos 89 so he knows how they should fly.
If it works I'm sending my fX in for the mod.
woo hoo.
ramon

Actually , my friend is experimenting with precision, he is sending in an FX104 (he is a big goy) and he is going to have them put the HMA lines trimmed like a xaos on there and see if it improves the canopy (without the other xaos things like stabilirib etc).

I talked to George about a month ago about having him re-line my VX with HMA lines and he said he couldn't that they (Precision) didn't have the trim specs for HMA continuous lines on the VX and he didn't want to do it using the specs for the Xaos. He suggested that I talk to Gyro. I wonder what changed his mind? Maybe it has something to do with the Xaos 21 being on the market and the Xaos 27 still in testing. Maybe I should make another phone call.
alan

It would be interesting to see if the fx with those lines and trim was better.
Some think that the non cascade causes more drag. Who knows? It would probably take a pretty fancy aerodynamic model to know for sure. What I do know, is those lines, at the first stow, when you have all of them in your hands, seem 2/3 the size of a velocity's. The trim is a whole different deal.
Tell us how it works out.