skreamer

Shifting body position

Here's a question for the esteemed Swooping Moderator - Chuck (yep I can suck up with the best of them! :)Watching some experienced canopy pilots doing a carving front riser turn, I have noticed that they raise the opposite leg when initiating the turn. I presume this is to put more body weight on the side of the harness that they are risering (ie raise right leg if hanging on left riser). Does this really make any difference to how the canopy dives (ie translating into more forward speed?)?
Will

Shifting the weight can allow for the turn to be completed faster. A faster, sharper turn can result in higher speed on the landings, but it can also cause your body to swing out more and allow for a faster sink rate in the turn. If you not expecting the difference, you can easly find your self low in the corner.
I want to touch the sky, I want to fly so high ~ Sonique

On the higher loaded canoies, a harness turn will cause a very fast rate turn.
I opened at 9k on that Xaos Friday and just played with some things.. (it is loaded at 2.1). A pure harness turn with no riser input will gradually increase speed until you are smoking. If I took it to 360 degrees, it would lose about 750 feet, and by the end have good speed. Not as much as a riser turn though.
I have seen Andy do a pure harness turn on a canopy loaded at around 2.9 and it results in a fast turn and swoop.
I think the advantage of a harness turn is it does not mis-shape the canopy, like a front riser. But it is not as easy to fine tune as having both risers in your hands. The speed gain is limited too. After a 360 on mine, the pressure builds so much, it won't really keep getting faster. You can only apply so much pressure with your harness.
Try it. The lower the wing loading, the less you will get, but just about any canopy will get some harness turn.

shifting weight in your harness to the same side as your pulled down riser (co-steering) will give you a snap turn, ie. a very fast hook.
shifting weight in your harness to the opposite side as your pulled down riser (counter-steering) will give you a broader carving hook turn.
when doing a riser turn you can use weight shift to control your arc. counter steer to elongate it co steer to shorten it.
sincerely,
dan
atair