heftee

Winter Gloves

I've been wearing football gloves with a pair of stretchy knitted gloves underneath. They're fine for cool weather, but they suck when it's really cold. After landing I often can't even take my gloves off for a few minutes and my hands just hurt for 15 or 20 minutes. I did one jump on Saturday and had no interest in jumping again just because of my hands. The rest of me was perfectly fine.

So I'm on the search for something new. Those mechanix gloves look like they might be worth a shot. They make a whole bunch of different ones though. Anyone know which would be the best? They have one pair that's specifically for cold weather so I'd assume those are the warmest. http://www.mechanix.com/detail.asp?product_id=MCW. Anyone tried this specific type?

Dave

pilotdave - i have the SAME problem with the gloves I have now. yesterday it was 1 degree at altitude and the gloves didnt really do much. i just purchased a pair of Ringers Cold Weather gloves. They look nice and warm. If you want I can let you know how they are when I get them. I got them at: http://www.mytoolstore.com/ringer/cold.html

.-.

I use a pair of neoprene gloves. Very warm and your hands don't get wet.
They can be bought in most fishing/hunting stores.
About 2 mm thick, so they are thinner than scuba gloves.
Get the ones with neoprene in the palm. With that it is very easy to hold onto the plane.

- Jacques

I wear a pair of neoprene gloves I bought at a hiking store. They're very thin, very warm, and have leather on the palm and fingers, so I get a good grip on everything.

I recomend them to everyone.

I got mine at EMS - Eastern Mountain Sports.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

by far the best gloves one can get for skydiving are unlined deerskin gloves. They are like a second skin.

Since you are only in freefall for a minute or so, they protect you well enough.

I wouldnt recommend them for freefalls of six minutes...might get cold.

best gloves by far.:D

by far the best gloves one can get for skydiving are unlined deerskin gloves. They are like a second skin.

Since you are only in freefall for a minute or so, they protect you well enough.

I wouldnt recommend them for freefalls of six minutes...might get cold.

best gloves by far.:D

It's not the 1 minute of freefall that gets you!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I used to have a really nice pair of REI winter cycling gloves, I say used to as I loaned them to prephekt on one of his skydiving sabbaticals here and the little rat lost one in freefall. They worked really well, the dexterity and hear retention were excellent. They are cheaper than the Pearl Izumi gloves and seem to work better in freefall for warmth but the Pearl's have better grip feel.

I'm going to try these
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?Krypto=lCcaC5p%2B1IInUJtCjh0VRm9Gway9fc6WfLKCx9IX9V4%3D
Should have them by the weekend.
Somebody please clicky this.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

At least in finnish climate nothing I have tried compares with Yoko 136 Thermo Gore Windstopper (thermoflleece, windstopper and a full leather palm) and with putting on thin silk undergloves, you can jump even it was -25C / -15F up there...

http://yokocanada.com/gloves.html

Vesa

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

Noone mentioned Neuman tackified winter gloves...
Are they bad or something? :o

Its not that they are bad. I have a pair myself, but when its cold out (no you southerners, that doesnt mean 50 degrees) they just don't do much. It was 0 at altitude when I last used them and they just don't keep your hands warm at all.

.-.

I searched around for those yoko gloves. Apparently they're now called Toko. But I couldn't find anywhere online that sells them, so I looked for similar gloves. Found Sinisalo gloves. I am going to try either the Super Thermo gloves or the Soft Thermo gloves. I emailed asking how much warmer the supers are and how much thicker they are.

Dave

I searched around for those yoko gloves. Apparently they're now called Toko. But I couldn't find anywhere online that sells them, so I looked for similar gloves. Found Sinisalo gloves. I am going to try either the Super Thermo gloves or the Soft Thermo gloves. I emailed asking how much warmer the supers are and how much thicker they are.

Dave

mmmm those look toasty. hope you can still have good feeling with them though.

.-.

when its cold out (no you southerners, that doesnt mean 50 degrees)

I agree with you here. Its a little annoying when people tell about how warm their gloves are in winter, and you then find out they jump in florida or something :S:D

Last weekend I tried the latex gloves under my scuba gloves. The scuba gloves normally don't do much, but together they worked really well. In fact, my hands sweated a little. It wasn't really cold at altitude (25 F); I can't wait to try them when it gets really cold.

MB 3528, RB 1182

mmmm those look toasty. hope you can still have good feeling with them though.

Yeah, thats my worry about the super thermo gloves. They seem to have an extra layer of insulation on the palm. But, gloves with less insulation and better "feelability" lose their advantage anyway when your hands go numb.

Dave

Ok so I got to use the Ringer gloves this weekend. It wasn't neccessary to use them but I wanted to give them a try. As far as keeping my hands warm, god they were sweating! It was about 30-40 degrees at altitude. Not too bad. As far as feeling goes, I felt somewhat uncomfortable at first, but after being in the air with the gloves on and feeling the hackey to pull, I am definitely satisified with the gloves and plan on using them when it's cold out.

.-.

Outdoor Research WindStopper™ Fleece Gripper Gloves

Got them.Definitely have good feel.Just have to wait for some cold wx to try their insulating qualities.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.