freeflyfree

What's this thing for in my slider?

Hi everybody!, I bought this used jedei sweptwing DOM 1997 and the slider came with a large rubber band in the rear middle of the slider...I don't know what this thing is used for, check poorly drawn attachement. the slider still has a small loop where to stow a rubber band in. I asked the guy that sold it to me and he just said "it's something we invented at my DZ".

But I have no Idea what's the use of a rubber band in this location....Anydody?
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."

Slider.jpg

Actually I jumped a Johnathan that had the same thing. It's to stow two lines in the back of the canopy. I can't remember which lines it is but, it definetly has a purpose. I'm sure you could pack without using it but I would find someone that jumps one of those canopies to show you how to stow the lines. It was not something invented at your DZ it came with the canopy.

>It's to stow two lines in the back of the canopy.

Probably the steering lines. Maybe it's some kind of anti-lineover thingie. I have this feeling that I might have read somewhere that BASE jumpers use something similar sometimes. (I wonder if that was unsure enough:P)

Perhaps one of our resident BASEists could chime in?

This is similar to the sliders on the canopies (PD190) that I was jumping as a student (not all that long ago). I understand that when the slider was taken up the lines (while flat packing) you would double stow the brake lines in the bungee to slow the opening.

You should be able to check this with a riger.

I will admit that I never used this as I was happy with the openings I had without doing it

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

With BASE sliders you have direct and indirect control. This helps stage the deployment. Indirect control is with the primary bite you take before stowing your lines in the tailpocket. Direct control is banding a bite of the slider to the inner right C-line - opposite to where the tailgate is usually situated This prevents the slider coming down prematurely.

Hope this helps

B Safe B Low
Michael

Both my rigs have this simple modification.

It is used to stow your brake lines during the pack job. Do a double bite on the brake lines and then wrap the tail like you normally would. This mod helps to lessen the chance of line overs by keeping your steering lines in the center of your pack job.

For the 3 seconds it takes to stow, you may save yourself from lineovers.

Danger

I really think it is to stow your slider on your rig. Me and a few other skydivers in Deland use them. If you go somewhere where they sell tent supplies, You can get a plastic ball with an elastic cord for attatchment. You put this on your reserve flap at the top. When you open your canopy you can just wrap the slider a few times and attatch the rubber band to your slider. This keeps it out of the way.
Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

"It stages the opening"
"It holds the steering lines out of the way that half-second longer"
"Makes the steering lines in the centre of the packjob"

And all of them, have a slight basis in fact...

No, this modification will not hold your steering lines in for more than a billionth of a second longer.

No, it will not help to stage your opening. That little bungee? Exert a force against 120mph winds? Unlikely.

Keeps the steering lines in the centre of the packjob? Well, yes. I'll give you that one, although if you move your slider, so will your steering lines :o

The actual reason behind this small modification is to help with Students learning how to Pack.

Many students dig their fingers into the material of the canopy, when trying to create that "sausage shape" on the floor (http://www.kturby.com/skydive/groundschool/images/packing.jpg) - and thus stick their fingers between the two sets of steering lines, and wrap them behind the canopy, not knowing what they've done.

By having the bungee, you remove any excess, that they might get their fingers caught between, and any over-zealous student, trying to wrap either set of steering lines around the back of the canopy is unlikely to be able to do so.

I'm happy to make a video to demonstrate this, if you like.

I think someone already said that, but I couldn't find it, so wrote this out B|

"It stages the opening" comment reminded me of a slider mod I had on an old canopy in the 70's...

There was a grommet in about the same place on the slider and a rubber band attached to the tail of the canopy.

When flat packing at the 'mummy' stage you would put the rubber-band through the grommet and secure one bite of suspension line through it thereby (in theory) keeping the slider up at the tail until line stretch.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

"It stages the opening" comment reminded me of a slider mod I had on an old canopy in the 70's...

There was a grommet in about the same place on the slider and a rubber band attached to the tail of the canopy.

When flat packing at the 'mummy' stage you would put the rubber-band through the grommet and secure one bite of suspension line through it thereby (in theory) keeping the slider up at the tail until line stretch.

At one time ParaFlite had a tap the center seam about 8 to 10 inches up from the tail. The purpose was to stow the slider to the tail during pacing. The theory was that in so you would slow the opening of the canopy. In reality it worked just the opposite. It would keep the slider from “opening” just long enough for the canopy to get a head start on opening.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The Raider Intruder system uses this same concept but instead of using the slider to accomplish keeping the lines in place, there is a magnet on the C line, 1 per side. When you pro pack it you place the D lines in between the Cs and connect the 2 magnets thus holding the D's in place.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Sounds like it's Vertigo BASE's (now part of APEX) version of the slidergate. As previously mentioned, you stowed the brakelines in it to stage the deployment and help prevent lineovers. This has now been replaced by direct control, indirect control and tapegate/tailgate for slider up jumps... Alternatively, it could be to stow the slider :-)

It was used to stow a bight of of the steering lines to keep them in the back for packing and deployment.

A lot of people who think they pack well, drop the canopy on the ground then wrap the brake lines to the front.

That was intended to help mitigate that issue and discourage lineovers.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto