uberchris

sabre1

why is it that sabre1's have been known to crack the shit out of you? what are the specific characteristics of this canopy that can cause painful, if not injurous openings?

ive got one now that i bought for wingsuiting. now besides the ovbious, flaking and folding properly, and making SURE that the slider is quartered and all the way at the top of the lines and packed deep inside the packjob, do you recommend rolling the nose?

and if you do roll the nose in what manner? (outer 4 cells on each side of the center cell, then bury the center cell)>>>??
gravity brings me down.........

Seems to be the rage these days, I *ahem* WATCHED :);) *ahem* a master rigger install one today, another canopy on its way here tomorrow for the same... both Sabre1's. :S

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've got a normal slider on my Sabre1. I read somewhere that the problem openings are actually on the larger Sabres and also before a specific date (related to the brake attachment style/position).

I roll the nose/pack as described in the Sabre 1 owners manual. It works well enough that sometimes it snivels for ages. I was getting off heading openings but I think that was down to packing practise as they appear to have stopped.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I have a sabre 150 and it open and fly great, I know it can slam me sometime, but I don't take any care on the packing, sometimes look a trash pack, still open fast but not like a bomb. a friend jumps a 135 and he is always been hammered by the canopy... I think some are blessed with a good sabre....
Julio Cesar
blue skies

Same way most people do, if I was getting them and packing carefully wasn't helping. Start by looking at a slider mod.

As it happens though, my 40 or 50 Sabre 1 jumps (135 and 150) were all fine. Go figure, maybe the canopy isn't a total deathtrap.

How did you deal with yours?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

sabre1 - 190. first jump, master rigger packed. HARD opening. second jump, DZ packer packed. HARD opening. third jump, I packed with all advices I got for soft openings. HARD opening.

sabre2 - 150. first jump. A friend of mine packed it for himself. Not as hard as sabre 1 but pretty hard opening. I'm convinced that I'll never jump sabre again except if my life really rely upon it. :)

I have about 400 jumps on a Sabre1 170 and 50 on a Sabre1 150. Never been spanked, don't do anything to the nose, no pocket slider. My husband has several hundred jumps on the 170 as well with the same results. I just don't get the Sabre1 phobia. I have one in my backup rig, and routinely use it for video and AFF, openings are nice, consistent, never hard.

Any canopy can bite you. I landed in the ER after a hard open on a Spectre. My own fault it opened like that, due to body position.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

sabre1 - 190. first jump, master rigger packed. HARD opening. second jump, DZ packer packed. HARD opening. third jump, I packed with all advices I got for soft openings. HARD opening.

:)

heres my advice for you...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw5kH7civTo

:)
gravity brings me down.........

I agree that body position and folding play important role. But I just cannot believe that those two (particular) canopies I used can ever open softly without significant modifications. Hard (ening f. up ;) from time to time is okay but hard openings as default mode of a canopy is simply not acceptable for me.

all i could see is the guy complaining about a neck pain... but some people say that your balls can nearly hit your toes...... If I have a hard opening will be posted here, but after all my crazy packing jobs, I don't think will have....
Julio Cesar
blue skies

any canopy can bite you

Indeed. The most brutal slammer of my life so far, hopefully ever, was on a Pilot - which are almost a byword for soft, reliable openings.

Then again, almost all my jumps are on Pilots, so that's not so surprising. Gonna happen at some point B|
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I put about 800 jumps on my Sabre1 150. It was in brand new condition when I got it. I rolled the nose and did all the tricks when I got it and 4 out of 5 openings were brisk and the other 1 out of 5 was a slammer. I had my rigger put a pocket on the slider and I had fantastic opening everytime after that (didn't have to roll the nose or anything, packed like normal).

I loved that canopy!

I occasional got hard openings with my Sabre1. I found that just checking the slider and pushing the nose into the canopy a bit solved the problem. Not one hard (define hard as Slammer!) opening in the last couple years. In fact, most openings are “firm”, quick, and on heading. Also, I can easily steer the opening using body English. I use my Sabre for camera jumps, so, I am concerned about how my parachute opens.

Using packers… well, that’s another issue.
B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

how do you deal with hard openings with Sabre1?

Put an H-mod and a 600lb Technora line set on it!

I consider the Sabre I to be about number three on the list of hard opening canopies.....

Cheers,
MEL

What is the TOP 5?

#1 ?
#2 ?
#3 PD Sabre 1
#4 ?
#5 ?