The following scam has been reported:

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 10:12 PM
Subject: Dropzone.com Classifieds - Response to your Ad

Hi,

On 23-Mar-2007 someone submitted their contact information in
response to your ad in the Dropzone.com Classifieds. Please reply to
this email to contact the person directly.

Username =derossi007

Name =Mr Derossi

FromEmail [email protected]

City =Aderdeen

Country =Scotland,Uk

Comments =Hello
My name is Mr Derossi David
I''m really intersted in your Main Canopies
I will like to know if you still have it for sale Are you the first owner?

Did you have all the paper work and the receipt of phurchase for
documentation? what is your last asking price and the present condition?

Preffered method of payment is United State Certified MoneyOrder ? which
would CLEAR in your bank account within 1 to 2 working days.don''t bother
about the shippment The shipping cost will be my own responsibility.

Urgent response is needed for procedure of payment I''ll be expecting your
mail soonest.Send pics if also avilable.i would be very glad if you can get
it sold to me.Kindly email me back if it's still for sale. My Phone
+447011134075
Cheers

Click here to read more about these kind of scams.

Remember:

• DO NOT do business with anyone who offers to send you payment for a higher amount than your selling price with the understanding that you'll send back the balance.

• Be suspicious of anyone claiming to be acting on behalf of a "client" or another "customer".

• Be suspicious of anyone claiming to be from Nigeria or West Africa

• If you agree to accept a check payment, then do not send anything, gear or "change" before the check cleared. And be careful, if you manage to clear a fraudulent check then you may be liable for the damages if the bank finds out later. Make sure your bank authenticates the check.

• If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.
This username has been disabled.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

This prick just wont stop. I just got 4 more emails from him in addition to the 2 i got before. Youd think hed get the picture that im not playing his game after the rather vulger replies I sent him where no aspect of his being was left untouched, but alas i guess not . . .

At first I didn't know it was a scam, so I replied to the email. The exact same email that was in this thread. But can anyone explain to me what this scam exactly is? Sending a bad check or something?

This is the answer I got back:

Good day ,
Thanks for your swift response ,I really appreciate your quick response towards making a successful transaction .About the present working condition of the item as stated by you,I am really pleased with it,but i belived you are telling me the real act,because i cannot come over to your location now due to the nature of my work.Well, the asking price is okay by me for 1350 Euro I would be offering you 1600Euro . for the payment of the everything, reason for this is that i want you to make sure you reserved the item for me and consider it sold to any other enquiries. Also,I have forward your mail to my associate to send you the payment and also instruct him to include the shipping fee to your payment,because he has arrange for the shipping. So immediately you recieve the Certified Bank Draft you would needs to send the shipper's payment to them. If this arrangement is ok by you . and i want buy it for my brother in Holland and I am located in Sctoland aberdeen ,i would be very glad if you can get it sold to me . I will like you to get back to me with your full details so that i can forward the payment to you immediately.

Full Name ...........
FullContact Address ........
State .........
Zip Code.......
Contact mobile number .day or night...........

When you send me the following information,i will instruct my associate to issue the Certified Bank Draft immediately.Hope to hear from you soonest ! Your quick response to this will be highly appreciated...
Cheers
Blue skies & long flights,
Karin - ©The Pink Bird

Yes, certified douchebag. I love these guys, anything to avoid real work. Complete jagoff. Yeah, you want to pay me extra money for the canopy, then have me refund you $150 for the overpriced fake check...brilliant. If you're dumb enough to fall for some shit like that, you shouldn't be jumping out of a plane...haha What clown.

Why it's a scam:

Will only pick it up himself, you don't need to send it even though you're in another country. That is very very weird.

Further down the road, it'll get to a bigger check than needed, with you sending the difference back. They do not want the gear they just want the money hence the "no shipping required". The check is of course bad so you're out the difference you paid the "buyer" plus your bank will be mad at you for cashing a bad check.

This email is better composed than most, usually the english is quite bad (although that alone is not a reason to discount a buyer, not everyone writes good english) and this guy pretends to live in Scotland so he should KNOW english right?! Also his own home city was spelled wrong.

Usually it's more obvious that the mail is a template, you get: I'm interested in (......). Fill in the blanks with add item type of thing.

Next item: they ALWAYS seem to want photos even though you posted pics with the add.

There's probably more but I'm at work and can't type too long ;)

Anyway if you've seen a few of these scam mails it becomes real easy to see which ones are fake buyers.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I got the same one. The exact same verbage aswell. I copied this thread and pasted it to an e-mail to him. Hopefully he will get the picture, that he is not dealing with a bunch of idiots. Happy selling..

dave