syberrsurfer

Turbo ZX openings

.....just wanted some input on Turbo ZX's openings. I recently purchased a ZX 165 and my exit weight is about 200-205, which puts the wing loading at approx 1.3 ratio. I find the openings to be way too soft and I do not roll the canopy. The canopy tends to open quite slow; no line twists, simply slow. I have a buddy who jumps the same and has the same problem. Any advise or thoughts?
Thanks,[unsure]
HISPA #37
Do CReW!!! 'Be CRew'd, Blue'd 'n' Lewd!!'

>I find the openings to be way too soft and I do not roll the canopy.

And this is a problem??? Most people search high and low to find a canopy that opens consistantly like that. Compared to a Lightning any thing is too soft and slow though ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I took a Lightning to just about terminal since i covered up the handle with my sweat shirt sleeve when i was learning CRW... I was seeing stars after the 4stack built still :S

If you want to increase the speed of the ZX openings you could always try a smaller slider, leave more of the nose hanging open and out while packing or leave the slider down an inch or two. Out of those I'd start with the packing then the smaller slider size. The last one is just unpredictible.

Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Personally.. I would'nt use ZX's to do CRW, I'd look at geting Lightnings or if you can't find them... Prodgies (ewwwww imho). If you got to another DZ or a skills camp no one can fly with you unless they are on ZX's and not many people are. Lightnings are out there if you look. Wendy runs a CRW Dawgs emailing list that might help you too in your search.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

>just wanted some input on Turbo ZX's openings. I recently purchased
>a ZX 165 and my exit weight is about 200-205, which puts the wing
>loading at approx 1.3 ratio. I find the openings to be way too soft and
>I do not roll the canopy.

WTF? I jump a TurboZX 145, loaded just about the same, and my openings are always brisk, and sometimes I get slammed! Actually increasingly so. I've now jumped 200-300 jumps with it, and I'm assuming it's getting out of trim; hence the harder openings.

So, just jump it a couple of hundred times and it'll open harder...;)

Erno

Strange.

Only time I got a really nice and slow opening from my Turbo ZX was with a wet canopy deployed in subterminal.

How to solve your problem:
-Get used to it
-As someone already said, expose the front more may help
---
PCSS #10

I'm the other guy he jumps with who has the T-ZX. I've only gotten a fast opening once on it and I'm not sure what I did, so oh well. Ranjit, MEaton suggested rolling the nose away from the center cell to each side and don't bury the nose. Also, unroll the tail when you get it in the bag.

I have airlocks on my cells, not sure if you do, but that might be part of it.

We're actually aquiring a couple of Lightnings as we go. In the meantime, these T-ZX's are a pretty good match with the crw-dog who's coaching us ...as long as we're doing small stuff.

Yeah, Lightnings are going fast right now so I might have to purchase new. Hey, anyone want to buy a Turbo-ZX? I'm trying to scrape some money together. I promise soft openings.

-Doug
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher