sangiro

Username: gregepps23 - Classifieds Seller Scam

The following is a typical copy-from-eBay seller scam. This username has been diabled. If you contacted this user with regards to this gear, DO NOT SEND any MONEY.

Click here to read more about Seller Scams

[inline gregepps23.jpg]

Ad Text

Javelin container J-3 DOM 4/96 - Sabre 170 DOM 02/2000-CypresDOM 2000/ with BOC, and hard housings. Container has 240 jumps, Sabre has 175 jumps, reserve is a Swift plus 175 DOM 3/96, dont know what color, never seen it. Cypres had new batteries05/04- and had 4 year Cypres maintenance 4-6-05, cost 175.00 for 4 year check. Complet rig and main are in excellent condtion, sabre is still crisp as new, soft openings and great flares. This rig is a 9 plus out of a 10. Im 6ft 175 fits great, excellent free fly rig. Color of container is black, lime green, fuschia. Sabre color is blue, yellow. Pilot chute had small tear that I had repaired, If your looking for a complete rig this is a great set up. Thank you, and blue skys.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Just wondering, what tipped you off that this was a scam?

Another user actually spotted this one. I just checked into it, and there are quite a few give-aways. I don't want to publish all of them here for scammers to read. ;)

Not having access to IPs and stuff like that here are some things that should have made you a bit suspicious:
  • The first is that this was posted on the same day the user registered. Not per se a scam but always a reason to go: "Hmmm?"

• The subject line is in all caps and has been cut off. That's because my subject lines are limited in length. You will not realize that if you just copy and paste the subject from somewhere else. If you were typing that you'd realize that it stopped accepting characters.

• Read the actual subject line. Sounds like something a skydiver would write?
More importantly though (and this is harder to know unless you saw the ad on eBay), when it was posted there, the user claimed to be in the US. Now, from the ad and the profile, he lives in the UK. A quick look at the IP address he used to register and post the ad from, and looking at the country that IP belongs to made it even more bizarre.

The ad looks legit because it was copied from a legitimate ad on eBay. You have to spot the scam mostly through other means. I rely heavily on you guys to let me know when you smell a rat.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I'm not all that familiar with scams. I'm wondering how the crime might be perpetrated in this case. Simple failure to deliver the goods, perhaps?

Or something a little more sophisticated involving swaps between the actual seller and the buyer?

Relisting someone else's ad (with a markup) is the stuff of late-night TV get rich quick schemes...
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?