winddrift1

cutaway cable length please help!!!

I'm trying to get some answers on the length of the reserve cutaway cable length and why people are saying one side should release before the other and is this just for a RSL system.
1.? should the cutaway cables be different length.
2.? Is it different for RSL
3.? training for cutaway ( Do you fall more to one side like a cartwheel after you cutaway ) If the cables are a different length.
4. ? If both cables where the same length with a RSL and you cutaway could it cause the reserve to malfunction. If so how.
Please help just looking for answers any information would be greatly accepted

>1.? should the cutaway cables be different length.
Yes, they have to be in order for one sie to make the bend around your yoke and up the risers.

In a cutaway the right side should release only a fraction of a second before the left. (On Jav's Wings, Dolphins, etc... not sure Racers or reflexes). The cables as you pull them through the loops should clear the right about an inch before the left . This ensures that if the RSL is hooked up that it fires after there is a clean break away. If the left (rsl side) releases first the Reserve pin could be pulled before you reach break away on the right.

Rsl's can be connected or disconnected via the French Link so it won't matter if its on or not in the making of the cables.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ok thanks but what about you don't have a RSL would it be better to have both cables the same length to stop the cartwheel affect when you cutaway.
The reson i'm asking about this is I seen a riger make the resever cutaway cables the same length on student parachutes all the rigs are the same STRONG container with RSL connected He cut the cables off at 2 1/2'' from the reserve housing gromet to the end of the cable. Could this cause a resever RPC to malfunction and not deploy properly.

>1.? should the cutaway cables be different length.

Of course; one is about 5 times longer than the other one. Do you mean how much cable sticks out the ends of the housing? Because that changes. The right side one (the short one) isn't much affected by rig flex and housing compression etc; the left one is. That means that, even if they have the same amount of cable sticking out of the ends of the housings, they may not release at the same time under load.

>2.? Is it different for RSL

Most rigs with RSL's have cables cut so that the side with the RSL usually releases last.

>3.? training for cutaway ( Do you fall more to one side like a
>cartwheel after you cutaway ) If the cables are a different length.

Cut away five times so far and watched about 50. 'Cartwheel' effect is negligible.

>4. ? If both cables where the same length with a RSL and you
>cutaway could it cause the reserve to malfunction. If so how.

If you cut away in one motion, no. If you are hesitant and release the RSL side first it could cause a main/reserve entanglement.

Would it not be best to ask a qualified rigger to install the cutway handle and adjust the cable length? Would suck bigtime if you screw it up and find out at you next mal...

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

The best source for the correct cable lengths for your container is the manufacturer.
I'd answer your other questions... but I don't know the correct answers

Well I took your advice and called the manufacture and the person that makes the container system told me that the Riger was wrong that the cutaway cables are made to be different lengths on this rig the cable should be 3/4'' longer then the other. With a RSL connected. With out a RSL it doesn't matter the cables could be the same length. Thanks for the help everyone now I feel better and the manufacture want to talk to the Riger that cut the cables.

You can usually cut it with a good set of pliers and then burn the tip so that it has no burrs.

Those are the instructions I got from the manufacturer with the cutaway pad I ordered recently. It worked fine. no burrs.
Skydiving is for cool people only

From what the manufacture told me if you have a RSL you have to have the cables longer on one side to make sure you have a clean cutaway away from the main risers before the RSL releases. On the system that the Riger cut the cables the same length on was a two handed operating system with the RSL having to be activated by the reserve cutaway handle only.

When I worked at Rigging Innovations, our standards were - (measured from grommet on release housing):
minimum 4" on S.O.S.
otherwise, minimum 5", preferrably 6"
6" or 7" on RSL side.
The key point is making the cable on the RSL side about an inch longer.
Note: R.I builds special risers for S.O.S. with extra long cable channels up the back of the rear risers.
If the exposed cable gets much longer than 8" then short-armed people may have difficulty getting a long enough stroke.
The extra length on the RSL side is to compensate for wimpy, cowardly, limp-wristed cutaways where the coward cuts away really slowly or never finishes his stroke. During a proper, quick cutaway, there would be such a tiny difference between left and right releasing that the "cartwheel affect" would be insignificant.