skydiverek

?? What are cross-connectors ??

They connect the tops of the risers. They are a nice addition to CRW canopies to serve as a place to hook your feet under. On regular rigs they are mostly point less. They do prevent pulling your slider down.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

They use to use cross-connectors on some rigs in the old days. I remember seeing some student rigs that had a line going from the risers on the main to the reserve ripcord handle on you belly reserve. The cross connectors kept your main more fully inflated on cut-away. It also made for a faster reserve inflation after cut away. I know this sounds like a primitive system and I don't know how reliable it was. Cross-connectors were also used on the old belly reserves. Just in case one of your butterfly connectors came unhooked, your round reserve would still be inflated. Otherwise it would be like cutting away one side. Steve1

Steve, you are talking about something completely different. Modern (since people starting doing CRW anyway) cross-connectors connect the front and rear risers on each side. The only purpose they are used for is hooking your feet in "plane" configurations. Without them, it's very possible for the top man to pull your slider back up your lines if he applies brakes, etc.

Chuck