climber71

Ways to improve your Skydiving Experience.

Am in the Tandem/AFF program. Know there are different ways to improving your Skydiving Experience. Have found I can not listen to music going to or coming back from the dropzone, as I need to stay calm, keep a clear head so I can think about skydiving that day, and to relax. Also found that going to the dropzone on a day when you are not even jumping helps me feel part of the environment, can ask questions, to make a connection to skydiving (not to see it as a unknown myth). What other ways have you found to help to increase your understanding of Skydiving?

Slow release carbs like oatmeal or beans on wheat toast and a long drive to the DZ with my favorite podcast always works for me. The same long drive on the way back helps me to wind down think about the day and reconnect with my whuffo family.

I try to study the SIM. There is a lot of background reading that is not covered in detail with the jump briefings. The SIM fills in some of the gaps. Also, look ahead a bit and know what is coming in the training. I always like to be familar with the topic before the actual training starts.

Be understanding went things don't go your way. I have to keep reminding myself of that.

It sounds like you are working to get the best understanding aleady. Keep it up. Learn from the lessons others had to pay for with pain. Keep safe/healthy so you can keep jumping.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Visualization is a powerful training tool. Use your down time and plane time to visualize the entire jump over and over, each time going perfectly. World class competitors use this technique to achieve peak performance.

Become a student of all things skydiving. Visualize and practice your emergency procedures until they become reflex. Learn to pack, and learn what each component of your rig does. Learn what NOT to do with your parachute.

One of the hardest things to do as a student jumper is to control your emotions. Learn to gauge your arousal level and moderate it thru breathing, visualization, practice and confidence building. Once again, the best skydivers in the world do exactly that.

Always open your chute. It makes the landings so much softer.:D

Land with your canopy above you, not in a hard turn. Flare. PLF if you need to, or even think you may need to. Make PLF'ing a reflex if you see the ground coming up too fast. This will keep you off crutches and allow you to skydive more.

Stay humble. Humble is more receptive to learning.

Enjoy every moment. You've just started on one of the best adventures in life. :)

Seriously, beans before a day of skydiving? What a classic straight line.

Yeh dude. Slow release carbs to keep you going. Its no more gas producing than the beer, curry, burrito farts that people think are fine to release that even an open door at altitude wont dissipate.

I am a "newly-minted" student jumper. I just completed CAT A jump few days ago. My approach is nearly in line with what John Mitchell said. Off-site, I reviewed everything I can get my hand on, including SIM. On trip to dropzone, I rehearsed the emergency procedures. On-site, I listened to the instructors. In addition, when they taught me everything I need to know, I recited everything they taught me until I am grey in the face. I did that again on the ride up. At halfway up, I stopped thinking about the jump and focused on breathing and clearing my mind up. I pretty much had one goal. I tried to sharpen my awareness. Alternatively, I accepted reality as it is and get with it. After the jump, I reviewed all the mistakes that I am aware of and compared to all the mistakes they told me. If the information is matched, then I am on the right track. When I leave the dropzone, I think about improvements that I would do on the next jump. Planning to do same cycle on each jump.
:)

What other ways have you found to help to increase your understanding of Skydiving?

Asking this question is a great start. First and foremost, listen to your instructors at the DZ. They'll be guiding you through a very well designed student program. Things you might find helpful to supplement this could include:

Mental visualization is great. A good book on the subject is "Mental Training for Skydiving and Life" by John DeRoslia, copy here:
http://www.amazon.com/Mental-Training-Skydiving-Life-DeRosalia/dp/0970776306

Also, Brain Germain has some great videos about visualization on YouTube. Here's an entire series about transcending fear:
http://www.youtube.com/user/transcendingfear?feature=results_main

Show up at the DZ well rested and having eaten a good breakfast -- very important to learning and performance. I do 20 minutes of stretching exercises before leaving for the DZ as it helps me focus and gets my old bones moving (a little).

The SIM is, obviously, an excellent source of knowledge but it's a little dry to read through. A great supplement is Tom Buchan's book "Jump! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy." A wonderful, easy read that I highly recommend, available here:
http://www.amazon.com/JUMP-Skydiving-Made-Fun-Easy/dp/0071410686

The importance of staying humble can't be overstated. Here's a brief article about recognizing and correcting the five dangerous pilot attitudes:
http://aviationknowledge.wikidot.com/sop:hazardous-attitudes

Understanding weather is critical to all aviation, especially skydiving. Here's a free download of the FAA's classic "Aviation Weather" book. This reads as a textbook, but it is free. Most applicable chapter is #4: "wind."
http://www.aviationweather.ws/

Once you start studying weather you'll want better and more forecast data. I highly recommend this app:
http://www.airwx.com/

Lastly, there is great body of general aviation knowledge and training out there that can help increase your understanding of skydiving. Specifically I recommend taking an intro Sailplane (glider) lesson. These cost less than $100. Tell the flight instructor that you'r studying to be a skydiver and that you'r like to learn about:
- pre-flight procedures
- the atmosphere (soaring is a great way to feel all the things you can't see in the air)
- landing patterns. (notice how precise the downwind / base / final legs are)

You can find the closest Soaring site to you at www.ssa.org

Anyway, apologies if this list turned out to be TMI. Mostly don't forget to be safe, enjoy every single jump and buy beer!
www.wci.nyc